Director of Digital Marketing & Fundraising
Posted on: August 2, 2022
Reports to: Vice President of Marketing & Communications
Location: Any of the following buildOn operating regions - Chicago
(IL), Detroit (MI), New York City (NY), Oakland (CA), or Stamford
FLSA: Full Time /Exempt
Schedule: Monday-Friday with weekday evenings and/or Saturdays
required, up to 10% domestic and international travel required
Compensation: $80-90K CWE
How to Apply: Please provide a cover letter, a resume and answer
the application questions for consideration.
Summary: The Director of Digital Marketing & Fundraising will apply
expertise in online fundraising, lead generation, donor
cultivation, and stewardship to grow the buildOn movement. The
Director of Digital Marketing & Fundraising reports to the VP of
Marketing and Communications, leads a team of digital marketing and
fundraising specialists, and collaborates closely with the Director
of Marketing and their team.
Duties And Responsibilities
Oversee all digital fundraising strategies and manage the digital
marketing budget, including strategic oversight of all aspects of
donor engagement, i.e., donor communications, digital campaigns,
and stewardship programs.
- Develop an online fundraising strategy that equips external
fundraisers ('crowdraisers') with the tools and strategies they
need to succeed and convert one-time donors and non-donors into
- Create strategies and develop customized donor-centric
approaches that achieve high conversion, retention, acquisition,
and loyalty to move donors up the giving pyramid-through short-term
campaigns to large ongoing programs that will drive engagement,
increase funding and grow buildOn's movement.
- In conjunction with the stewardship team, implement a
comprehensive stewardship strategy to recognize and thank buildOn's
donor database, with a focus on donor retention and supporting
- Manage the digital marketing and communication strategy of the
five-step buildOn Donor Journey for segments of small, mid-level,
and major gift donors - Awareness (1), Consideration (2),
Conversion (3), Loyalty (4), Advocacy (5).
- Co-create and implement digital fundraising and marketing
campaigns for target audiences
- Work to build a deeply embedded culture of Philanthropy at
- Own the strategy for email communications and fundraising, web
content and fundraising, social media, and other digital
- Develop and optimize automated marketing journeys using
- Develop an automated but compelling report process for donors
to buildOn programs.
- Measure, analyze, and optimize your efforts using marketing
analytics best practices and KPIs.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or
a related field.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in online fundraising and
marketing, with proven results leading a team of marketers and
- Superior writing and editing skills, as well as experience with
email marketing and marketing automation platforms (Pardot or
similar), social media platforms, web basics, SEM/SEO, and the
Adobe Creative Suite, are a must.
- Experience writing and developing content for customer/donor
- WordPress, HTML, and other programming languages are a
What You Will Need To Succeed
- You are committed to changing the world. You believe in
buildOn's mission and are committed to equality and service. You
are as comfortable in a Bronx High School, or in West Africa, as
you are at your desk.
- You are a brilliant writer, editor, and storyteller. You know
how to create compelling content that will pull people into the
buildOn mission - and how to coach others to create outstanding
- You are obsessed with quality. You have an intense focus on
creating and launching only the highest quality, most compelling,
and visually dynamic creative work possible.
- You are focused on the customer, providing consistent internal
and external stakeholder satisfaction.
- You understand the fundamentals of a marketing/customer journey
and know how to develop the mechanisms to move donors from
Awareness to Advocacy.
- You communicate persuasively. You can plan and deliver oral,
written, and visual communications and stories that move people to
- You are collaborative. You develop and strengthen partnerships
inside and outside the organization.
- You lead by example and elevate expectations around
performance. You are skilled at coaching and performance
- You are entrepreneurial. If you don't have the tools you need
to be successful, you will find them. Challenges don't overwhelm
you, and you have the tenacity to overcome them. You know when to
ask for help - and when to figure it out yourself.
- You are strategic. You are focused on achieving your goals and
spend your energy getting there.
What You'll Learn
As part of your professional development at buildOn you will learn
how to become a Constructive Leader. Constructive Leadership is a
method of building leaders that inspires solidarity and unleashes
our courage, resilience, empathy, and passion for the possible. And
Constructive Leadership is only ignited through service.
Constructive Leadership is how we built this organization and what
we've learned by working at ground zero of extreme poverty and the
dropout crisis for more than 29 years.
What We Offer
- Generous time-off policy that includes paid vacation, personal
and sick days along with a paid summer and end-of-year shutdown
- 100% insurance premium paid for medical, dental and vision
along with subsidized deductibles.
- Annual performance reviews with merit increases.
- 403 (b) retirement plan.
- Pre-tax benefits (Commuter, FSA, and Dependent Care)
- Professional development opportunities
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
buildOn is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive
environment that drives innovation, strengthens ONE buildOn and
bolsters a culture where people truly feel valued, heard and
respected. buildOn provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to
all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.
To learn more about buildOn, please visit our website at
Keywords: buildOn, Oakland , Director of Digital Marketing & Fundraising, Accounting, Auditing , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!