Posted on: November 10, 2019
The Accounting and Compliance Specialist is primarily responsible
for duties related to the timely and accurate execution of the
Accounts Payable functions, maintaining department procedures, and
assists with the month end financial close, including account
reconciliations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles (GAAP); budget preparation; bank deposits; and Accounts
Receivable back up. --The Accounting and Compliance Specialist
works under general supervision where work is occasionally reviewed
for accuracy and adherence to established procedures. ----Essential
Duties and Responsibilities --
- Serves as the primary interface with WCIRB vendors, finance
staff and department heads in coordinating the payables and expense
accruals. Prepares standard GL entries, and prepares documentation
to facilitate the monthly financial close to meet department
deadlines and support internal/annual audit requirements, including
review of all assigned balance sheet accounts to ensure accuracy
and preparation of account reconciliations in compliance with GAAP
- Facilitates and maintains Finance Department procedures
including maintaining inventory of procedures, developing
procedures and facilitating updates by Finance team members.
- Supports the development of the annual capital and operating
- Prepares and maintains assigned balance sheet and expense
account reconciliation schedules in accordance with department
standards, which may include providing documentation for budget
variances to support financial reporting provided to the Leadership
Team, Governing Committee, and auditors.
- Serves as primary back up for Accounts Receivable.
- Manages the Accounts Payable account coding, period assignment
and payment processing through month-end closing, and assures that
all expenditures are supported with appropriate documents and
- Serves as primary contact for vendors and WCIRB staff on all
payable-related issues and questions.
- Verifies available funds for payment of invoices.
- Serves as the primary facilitator for department compliance
with electronic file structure, record retention, and maintenance
of complete and current procedures and makes recommendations for
updates and improvements.-- This includes maintaining an index of
department procedures and creating/updating select procedures.
- Creates and maintains current department-developed forms, and
manages version control.
- Maintains compliant, complete and accurate vendor files,
generates annual 1099s, and maintains disaster recovery vendor
- Posts all payable-related accruals, adjusting and reversing
entries to the general ledger.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts in accordance with WCIRBs
GAAP accounting standards and procedures and prepares and posts
required adjusting journal entries.
- Supports the development of WCIRB annual budget including
updating schedules, analyzing trends and pulling historical expense
analysis reports as assigned.
- Prepares purchase orders in accordance with purchase order
procedures and ensures compliance with purchasing policies. Matches
actual invoices to approved purchase orders to ensure compliance,
and tracks outstanding purchase orders for accurate accruals.
- Prepares annual tax return supporting schedules, including cost
models for unrelated business income.
- Prepares annual financial audit schedules, and serves as a
resource to address auditor requests.
- Recommends and implements process improvements to the Accounts
Payable Process and contributes to key projects, as assigned.
- Serves as a back-up to other Finance department
functions.--QualificationsTo perform this job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily and be engaged as an active team member in a
collaborative setting. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required.--
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.--Education and
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting.
- Minimum of two years of staff accounting experience, including
account reconciliations and expense analysis experience, and a
fundamental understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting
- Minimum of two years creating, updating and administering
procedures, and organizing and maintaining files in accordance with
- Full knowledge of double entry accounting, including adjusting
entries, fixed and intangible assets, and accrual accounting.
- Expert knowledge of MS Excel, Windows file structures
- Proficient knowledge of MS Word and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Knowledge of mid-sized accounting and reporting systems (Sage
Intacct, preferred). General knowledge of financial system and
database attributes, which supports technology-enabled accounting
processes, such as data uploads, data reporting, third-party system
interfaces, and reconciliations.Communication Skills
- Advanced verbal communication skills necessary to effectively
communicate in a clear and concise manner with internal and
external business partners.
- Excellent written communication skills to effectively prepare
and update presentations, reports, and policy and procedure
- Ability to effectively comprehend and apply policies and
procedures in the processing of invoices and statements; statements
of work; contracts; and other project and accounting documents, and
take appropriate action.
- Demonstrated initiative and enthusiasm to effectively interact
with co-workers in a collaborative team environment setting (in
person, via phone and email, and in a group setting)--Mathematical
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills to accurately perform
a variety of accounting computations, and establish appropriate
financial reporting methodologies.--Organizational Skills
- Strong organizational skills to support facilitating upkeep of
department procedures, file structure and compliance of record
keeping, achievement of routine and project deadlines, and
effective teamwork.--Physical DemandsThe physical demands described
here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.--
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.--
- Job requires approximately 90% sitting, 10%
- Job may require ability to lift and carry 15 lbs.
- Significant time spent at keyboard, monitor and mouse.
- Some use of printer and copy machine.--Work EnvironmentThe work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job.-- Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Frequent interaction with a wide variety of company
stakeholders, including members of Finance Team, Human Resources
Team, Department and Senior Leadership, company vendors, and
- Work is performed in moderate to fast paced environment with a
steady stream of procedural and analytical work.
- Work requires attention to detail, follow through, and
adherence to company policies and generally accepted accounting
- Collaborative team environment conducive to ideas, change and
Keywords: WCIRB, Oakland , Accounting Specialist, Accounting, Auditing , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!