Company: Partnership for Working Families
Posted on: May 12, 2022
About the Partnership for Working Families PowerSwitch Action is
seeking a talented storyteller to craft content that advances
transformative campaigns for economic, racial, and climate justice.
As Creative Lead, you'll create videos, design graphics, and use
digital media to lift up powerful organizing in cities around the
US. We're building our Communications Department with a focus on
supporting and linking together local campaigns to shift narratives
and inspire action across the nation. We explain complex issues,
expose the harmful structural forces and myths that hold back
progress, and tell the stories of brave worker, tenant, and
grassroots leaders who stand up to win better lives for their
families and communities. The ideal candidate will have a keen eye
for design, strong multimedia skills, and strategic savvy. You're
excited to explore new tools and technologies, can plan for and hit
deadlines, and enjoy collaborating with people from a wide range of
backgrounds. You will report to our Communications Director and
work closely with organizers, campaigners, researchers, policy
experts, and fundraising teams on both our national staff and at
our local affiliates. - About PowerSwitch Action PowerSwitch Action
(formerly the Partnership for Working Families) is a national
network organizing to build multi-racial feminist democracies in
our cities, towns, and regions. Together with our 20 affiliates and
one regional project we are driving an agenda to bring the billions
of dollars in local public investments under the oversight of the
communities most impacted, to expand decision making and power to
more of the residents in our regions, to support the building and
growth of member-based organizations, and to fight corporate actors
who use their power to extract and cause harm to our communities.
Leaders of our network and national staff recently completed our
long-term agenda on our path to collective liberation and towards a
multiracial, feminist democracy that is powered by abundance,
freedom and self-determination, radical inclusion, and meaningful
work that is valued. Our long term agenda is guided by four
interwoven core strategies:
- Build Authentic Inclusive Democracy, -by creating a body of
campaigns and programs that develop ways in which to open
government to resident voices.
- A People's Economy, for many not the few. -The racial wealth
gap, the gender gap, the rampant racism, and human exploitation are
in the design of the machine. We need a new apparatus that is
accountable to people, to the many.
- Grow Civic Organizations: Labor, Tenants, Borrowers, Ethnic.
-An organized citizenry is best able to take on questionable or
corrupt practices. We need to dramatically increase the numbers of
people organized in order to effectively contest capital, stave off
authoritarianism, and bring out the democracies that we
- Rein in Corporate Power. -If our ultimate goal is to develop
the capacity of people to govern and manage democracy and the
economy then they must have experience of their power to bring
corporations to heel. We can prove to the American people that it's
possible to reclaim public goods from corporate capture, reject
extreme exploitation of workers, and beat back corporate overreach
- all while fighting for our collective liberation. To reflect how
our work has evolved over the last two decades, we've rebranded
from the Partnership for Working Families to PowerSwitch Action,
and are working on a new website, logo, and visual identity. Key
Responsibilities: Design & Graphics
- Create everything from issue explainer Instagram graphics, to
factsheets, to popular-education slide decks.
- Lay out research reports and find ways to visualize data and
explain complex systems.
- Own our organizational style guide (building on work we're
currently doing to develop our visual identity as part of our
rebrand). Video & Photography
- Script and edit videos: TikTok-style direct-to-camera, issue
explainers, profiles of affiliate campaigns and victories.
- Remotely coach and coordinate with staff, affiliates, and
community members to film and photograph interviews, actions,
- Create motion graphics for videos (text overlays, charts, maybe
animation depending on your skillset).
- Potentially (depending on location, covid, etc) film and take
photos at on-the-ground actions and events led by our
- Update and manage our photo and video library, working with
communicators at affiliates to collect new imagery and track any
- Working with the communications team and program leads, propose
concepts for graphics and multimedia content that support campaign
and organizational goals.
- Write video scripts, text for social media graphics, etc that
align with messaging and resonate with target audiences. Social
Media & Web
- With the rest of the communications team, increase email and
social media reach and engagement.
- Manage content on our (currently in development) website: keep
materials up-to-date, identify content opportunities, improve SEO
and the site's value for key audiences (reporters, allies, funders,
potential individual donors, etc). Other
- Collaborate with artists, vendors, and contractors as
- Train other staff and affiliate staff/members on content
- Perform other duties as required to support the work of the
organization as a whole. Qualifications: Commitment to Justice
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, economic and
- Experience with labor unions, community organizing, policy
advocacy, or political campaigning preferred but not required.
- Commitment to professional ethics in working with confidential,
- Skilled at working with people with diverse backgrounds and
varying levels of comfort with technology. Design & Multimedia
- Strong design sense: -You care that materials are on brand,
easy to read, and convey the right emotions.
- Experience designing -for both print (reports, factsheets) and
the web (social media, web video, email). You're at home in Adobe
Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, or their equivalents.
- Video production: -You can shoot and edit video, and can use
Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, or another editing suite. You think
about how to make videos that work well online. Bonus points if you
can create motion graphics with After Effects or similar.
- Photography: You can take emotionally powerful photos, and have
probably used a DSLR or mirrorless camera.
- Writing: You can write quickly and compellingly for a variety
of audiences and in different formats.
- Preferred skills: -experience with illustration, data
visualization, web development (HTML/CSS/JS), journalism, or social
media management. Work Management
- Strong organization and tracking skills. You keep projects
moving, make sure things don't slip through the cracks, meet
deadlines, and manage your time efficiently.
- Comfortable working remotely with people across the US.
Proficient with remote work tools like GSuite, Slack, Zoom,
- Ability to periodically work odd hours during rapid response
- Preferred: willingness to travel regularly (likely every few
months) for network gatherings and to capture in-person actions
(when safe). This is a full-time, exempt position and reports to
the Communications Director. -We offer a competitive starting
salary between $63,000-$75,000 (based on experience) and generous
- 401(k) with 5% employer contribution.
- 100% of health, dental, and vision premiums for employees and
their family members (spouse/domestic partner and children).
- Life insurance for employees.
- Flexible Spending Account: Employees may contribute up to
$5,000 a year for childcare expenses and up to $2,500 a year for
medical expenses (no employer contribution).
- 12 days of vacation, increasing with tenure up to 20 days.
- 12 days of sick leave per year.
- 6 week sabbatical for full time employees after five years of
employment. Please note that PowerSwitch Action requires that all
employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a medical or
religious accommodation is needed. Location This position may be
remote, based out of our Oakland headquarters, or at an
affiliate/partner office. Affiliate cities include: Phoenix,
Ventura, San Diego, Oakland, Los Angeles, Garden Grove CA, Ontario
CA, San Jose, Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston, Detroit,
Minneapolis, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Nashville,
Seattle, and Milwaukee. Ideally you'll be in a city with one of our
20 affiliates, but we're open to candidates in other cities and
major media markets. To Apply Please -submit -your resume, cover
letter, and 3-5 samples of your design and video work. -
PowerSwitch Action is an equal opportunity employer and committed
to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We strongly encourage and
seek applications from gender oppressed (women, transgender, and
gender non-binary) people, people of color including bilingual and
bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay,
bisexual, transgender and broader queer communities. We do not
discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color,
religion, national origin, gender/gender identity, marital status,
sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status. We need
your support! Help us clean up our cities and create good,
family-supporting jobs. Sign Up for PWF News Receive email alerts,
news and updates First Name (Optional) Last Name (Optional)
Keywords: Partnership for Working Families, Oakland , Creative Lead, Advertising , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!