Regional Director of Special Education
Company: Aspire Public Schools
Posted on: November 18, 2021
*This position will support our Bay Area regional schools.
ABOUT ASPIRE: Aspire Public Schools operates a network of
high-performing, college preparatory charter schools serving TK-12
scholars in communities across California. Founded in 1998-in an
effort to transform the inequitable racial, social, and gender
outcomes that our communities persist through-Aspire is one of the
largest and most forward-thinking open-enrollment public charter
school systems in the nation.
Our purpose is to prepare our scholars for success in college,
career, and life. At Aspire, we set a foundation for our scholars
to gain knowledge, skills, and power to access and make choices for
their families and post-secondary lives. Every day, our community
of students, families, teachers and staff comes together to learn,
work, and play in an environment grounded in our values of
Bienestar (Well-Being), Culture of Belonging, Community
Partnership, Agency & Self-Determination, and Joy.
Under general direction of the Senior Director of Special
Education, the Regional Director of Special Education coordinates
the special ed program and delivery within the region, provides
leadership to the special education regional team, principals and
school sites. The Regional Director of Special Education
coordinates special education participation in organizational
initiatives, as assigned by the Senior Director of Special
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy and Program Implementation:
- Assists Aspire Senior Director of Special Education in
management of the special education strategy, implementation, plan
and calendar in order to coordinate Special Education services in
Aspire Schools in the Region.
- Facilitate the delivery of services among multiple external
providers by researching, evaluation and selecting the
highest-quality providers and acting as the liaison among external
partners working with Aspire Special Education Students.
- Assist in the development of evidence based practice to ensure
the Aspire Special Education program maintains high quality across
all Aspire schools.
- Develops regional budgets that inform individualized school
budgets based on school-specific population and needs.
- Assists in facilitating completion of pupil count reports and
other state and federal reports.
- Coordinates local and state compliance reviews within the
Region related to special education.
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and support, Aspire Public Schools
mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and
procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and
the code of ethical behavior.
- Ensures due process requirements are met to complete the
appropriate development of IEPs and provides ongoing monitoring to
ensure IDEA compliance.
- Applies conflict resolution strategies with parents or other
stakeholders to resolve disputes related to a student's IEP,
demonstrating knowledge of current IDEA and Aspire policy and
- Facilitates the recruiting and screening of special education
staff for the region.
- Supervises and evaluates Program Specialists, School
Psychologists, Speech Therapists, and Related Service Providers,
and provides leadership to Principals in the supervision of
Education Specialists or Instructional Assistants.
- Coordinates and facilitates the regional special education team
professional development calendar.
- Coordinates regional special education leadership team
- Creates Mental Health Plans for the Region under the guidance
of the Senior Director.
- Coordinates with the Program Specialist and other Special
Education Team members to provide additional support to focus
schools in the Region.
- Coordinates special education participation in organizational
initiatives, as assigned by the Senior Director of Special
- Participates in professional development with the national team
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Skills to effectively provide leadership and manage the
multiple requirements; understand, interpret and apply laws,
policies, and guidelines that govern special education or Aspire
programs; communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Knowledge of Aspire's SELPA procedures and program guidelines;
special education instructional practices, procedures and methods;
various testing materials, resources or equipment; behavioral and
- Working knowledge of IDEA, California special education law,
charter law; IEP preparation and implementation strategies and
procedures; current trends and best practices in serving special
education students and appropriate referral agencies.
- Abilities to supervise and motivate staff; collaborate with
principals on employee management of assigned staff, conduct
effective meetings and professional development activities; work
effectively with students, parents and staff.
- Analyze situations accurately, adopt an effective course of
action, and work independently.
- Ability to use technology to enhance serve to Aspire schools;
knowledge of assistive technology to enhance student learning.
- Experience in training, planning and executing appropriate
transition services for special education students.
Minimum Educational Level:
- CA Education Specialist Credential and CLAD certification
required OR CA Related Service Provider Credential/License (School
Psychology, Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy,
- California Administrative Services Credential recommended
- Master degree in Special Education or related field
- 3-5 years' experience with special education program leadership
and charter experienceCOMPENSATION:Aspire offers its employees a
competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, 100% core
health benefits coverage on select plans, life insurance/long-term
disability, participation in a CA state retirement plan, tuition
reimbursement plan, and adoption assistance program.
Aspire Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age,
sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital
status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant
criteria. Aspire promotes affirmative action for minorities, women,
disabled persons, and veterans.
Keywords: Aspire Public Schools, Oakland , Regional Director of Special Education, Education / Teaching , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!