Senior Security Engineer
Posted on: January 21, 2023
Everlaw is looking for a Senior Security Engineer. Reporting to
the Director, Security Engineering, you will be the foundational
member of a new team at the company. Security is one of the main
strategic pillars at Everlaw, and we are looking for someone to
help us execute on that strategy and protect our most valuable
asset--our customer data. Everlaw's customers entrust us with some
of their most sensitive information, and it takes dedication and
care to protect it. Some of the world's most high-profile cases are
managed using the Everlaw Platform. We set a high bar to do what's
right by our users. Tackling litigation with technology presents
deep challenges. Data is spread across distributed systems, stored
in varied databases, housed at different physical locations.
Keeping our users' data safe requires a passion for learning new
technologies because we have to be good custodians no matter
whether data flows through a Web application, gets stored in a data
warehouse, or is used to train the latest machine learning
algorithms. We are dedicated to continuously learning and improving
our processes to achieve our mission. Engineering is the backbone
of the Everlaw Platform. We build features and functionality into
the product and ensure its smooth functioning. We also provide data
and insights to the rest of Everlaw. At our core, we like to build
and enjoy the creative process of building software that is smart,
that works well, that scales well, and that is reliable and secure.
We do this by supporting and empowering our team members to do
their best work, by tackling challenging and complex engineering
problems and by nurturing and supporting each team member through
mentoring, coaching, and comprehensive feedback. - At Everlaw, our
mission is to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company
culture is open and vibrant and we're committed to the professional
growth of our team members, offering an annual learning and
development stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding
career goals. If you're looking for a place that values passion,
integrity, thinking big, and a desire to learn, we'd love to hear
from you! Think you're missing some of the skills and are hesitant
to apply? We do not believe in the 'perfect' candidate and
encourage you to apply if you feel you can bring value to our team.
-Learn more about Life at Everlaw . This is a full-time, exempt
position located onsite in Oakland, California.
- We want you to feel like part of the team early on! Our
onboarding process will integrate you into the company with
informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team
structure and goals.
- We're excited for you to learn, grow, and contribute right
away! We trust that you'll bring experience and knowledge that will
uplift and uplevel the team, but we don't expect you to know
everything on Day 1.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Engineering Operations, IT, and
GRC teams to help meet our operational security commitments by
probing for vulnerabilities, assessing the risk, and advising on
how to respond to them.
- Triage security events and respond to security incidents, first
taking action to contain them and later guiding us to recover
normal operations and minimize the chances of recurring
- Advise other engineers on building a secure platform. You'll
lead threat modeling sessions, conduct security design reviews, and
review code and configuration changes for security concerns.
- Develop new security processes, procedures, and runbooks, and
refine existing ones, to help Everlaw scale with its rapid
- Select and integrate security technologies like SIEM, SOAR,
IDS, and EDR to expand visibility, identify possible threat actors,
and streamline security incident response.
- Build out security improvements on our AWS accounts, covering
areas like authentication, authorization, threat detection,
encryption, and reducing attack surface. We have a vision including
IAM, AWS Security Hub, Amazon GuardDuty, AWS Config, Service
Control Policies, AWS Firewall Manager, and more. You'll add to the
vision and help make it reality.
- Help define and implement Everlaw's security strategy.
- Find creative ways to solve problems without saying no to
innovation. You'll find many thoughtful coworkers at Everlaw who
are interested in making things more secure. The expertise you
bring will be valued and will help others develop a security
mindset and think like an attacker.About You
- You have an interest in security and want to develop your
security knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- You have at least 4 years of experience working in
- You have programming skills in at least one scripting language
- You have a keen eye for spotting problems and figuring out how
to exploit them or defend against them, and don't like to let them
- You're able to collaborate effectively with coworkers on
different teams. You can explain technical concepts without jargon,
and keep security relatable. A big part of the job is helping
others across the company solve security problems.
- You are willing to find creative ways to improve security
without blocking others. Security is important, but it's just as
important for people to be able to do their work, and we need to
find the right balance and make security easy for people.
- You have an understanding of effective security
- You have previous experience with software-as-a-service and
- You have programming skills in at least one compiled language
- You have experience with AWS, Terraform, Ansible, git, and
other infrastructure, development, and operations tools.
- You're familiar with security tools like vulnerability scanners
(e.g. Nessus/ZAP/Burp), host intrusion detection systems/HIDS (e.g.
OSSEC/Wazuh/Threat Stack/auditd), network intrusion detection
systems/NIDS (e.g. Snort/Suricata/Zeek), security information and
event management/SIEM (e.g.
Splunk/ElasticSearch+Kibana/ArcSight/Qradar), and security
orchestration and response/SOAR.
- Substantial equity -
- Retirement plan with company matching -
- Health, dental, and vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care
- Paid parental leave and sick leave
- Membership to -Modern Health to help employees prioritize
mental health and wellness
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and
applicable professional membership dues
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance
- Work in Uptown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and
dozens of restaurants and walking distance to Lake Merritt
- Flexible work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Monthly home internet reimbursement
- Select your preference of hardware (Mac or PC) and customize
your desk setup
- Enjoy a wide variety of snacks and beverages in the Oakland
- Bond over company-wide out-of-the-box events and fun activities
with your team
- Time off for company-sponsored volunteer events and 4 paid
hours per quarter to volunteer at a charitable organization of your
- Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
- At Everlaw, we are deeply invested in pursuing the truth, for our
clients and for our employees. We know that when you're empowered
to pursue your passions, it is reflected in the work. That's why
we're committed to the professional growth of all our team members,
offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular
career check-ins with managers. If you're looking for a place that
values passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we'd love to hear
from you! - We help law firms, government agencies, and
corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in big
lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun (or
needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a multi-billion
dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented vendors, and
we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and elegant design.
It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly: we host hundreds
of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state Attorneys General
and hundreds of law firms on some of the most high-profile cases
litigated today. - Everlaw is an equal opportunity employer. We
pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce and we do not
discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race,
creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic
information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related
condition, or any other basis protected by law. We respect the
gender, gender identity and gender expression of our applicants and
employees, and we honor requests for pronouns. It is our policy to
comply with all applicable national, state and local laws
pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity, including
the California Equal Pay Act . Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair
Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified
applicants with arrest and conviction records. Everlaw requires all
of its employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a
medical or religious exemption applies. If you are hired, we will
require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine,
unless you have received a medical or religious exemption.
Keywords: Everlaw, Oakland , Senior Security Engineer, Engineering , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!