Senior Principal Data Engineer
Company: Marqeta, Inc.
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The payment industry is innovating at a faster pace than ever
before, and the trend will continue thanks to very strong demands
from everywhere in the world and amazing technological
advancements. Big data and Machine Learning (ML)/AI technology play
a critical role in this success. Marqeta created the world's first
modern card issuing platform that empowers innovators to change the
world. With this API-based platform, Marqeta partners/customers can
instantly issue cards of all types and process payments in
real-time. To make the Marqeta platform and ecosystem serve
customers well and continue to grow, the Data team is responsible
for developing big data-related technology/services and value-added
data products. These include large-scale, reliable, and secure data
platforms in the cloud for data acquisition, processing, enriching,
serving, consumption, and governance. Our payment data is one of
the most valuable assets for Marqeta and our customers. We invest
in ML/AI, other data processing, analytics technology, and products
to derive deep insights and values from data to empower Marqeta
internal teams and external customers to grow faster and more
We are looking for a very strong, hands-on, and experienced
technical leader to lead the development in the areas mentioned
above. These will include architecture design, implementation, and
production, in addition to team building. Since we are in a
fast-growth mode, at the same time as growing the team, hands-on
development work is expected. This position reports to the VP of
If you are passionate about big data, large-scale platforms, ML/AI,
data processing, enriching, serving technology, and value-added
data products in the fast-growing payment space, this is an ideal
opportunity for you to lead, contribute, impact, and further grow
your career. As a key leader in the Data team, you will have the
opportunity to influence and contribute to our vision, direction,
strategy, as well as how we architecture, develop our data
platforms including ML/AI, data assets, create value-added data
products, and also finding effective ways to empower internal and
external partners/customers to generate business values.
What You'll Do
- Work with team members and partners on analyzing technical and
business problems (new or with existing systems) in a broad range
(mainly in the big data area but could be broader), identifying
opportunities, designing ways to build new systems or make existing
systems scalable, reliable, and performant to well serve customers,
considering both short term and long term needs. Join forces with
others on implementations, all the way to production deployment and
- Develop a vision, strategy, and roadmap to meet business
objectives with existing or emerging technologies in the big data
area, including data platforms and data products by partnering with
other stakeholders and partners.
- Foster learning, innovation, leveraging and building on new
technologies, and a strong customer-centric service
- Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical
solutions that further business goals and align with company
strategies. Advocate and practice engineering principles including
Security/Privacy, Quality, Reliability, Usability,
Scalability/Performance, Productivity/Efficiency, and
- Where needed across the Data team, roll up his or her sleeves
and code in Java, Python and other programming languages necessary
for solving immediate day-to-day work needed to keep operations
running along with building out data frameworks and services for
broad use for all the data engineers in the team.
- Guide and support team members on architecture design, problem
diagnostics/solving, and engineering best practices including
- Demonstrate strong leadership. Build and grow a healthy and
highly performant Data team, attract high talents, provide
effective coaching to team members.
- Define success metrics and SLAs, as well as track them toward
- Operational Excellence: monitoring & operating production
services including understanding user experience and ensuring happy
- Build strong partnerships with internal stakeholders/partners
across the company and external customers.
- Contribute to building Marqetar's technology brand through
internal and external initiatives.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as computer science
and computer engineering. A higher degree is a bonus.
- Experience demonstrating strong leadership, self-motivation,
accountability, and team player.
- 18+ years of industry experience in the big data and/or
large-scale data platform areas, including 5+ years of experience
managing and leading development teams in the Big Data and Web
Technologies areas. Experience in building large-scale ML/AI
platforms is a plus.
- 5+ years of hands-on large-scale software development
- Proven record of building and growing strong/productive teams,
including attracting high talents. Caring for team members and
inspiring/empowering them to deliver outstanding business
- Strong business and technical vision.
- Strong customer-centric mindset.
- Experience with agile development methodology.
- Strong at identifying problems, solving complex problems with
- Strong at architecture design of large-scale, reliable, and
- Deep expertise and hands-on experience in the areas of big data
platform technology especially the commonly used open-source
packages including Spark, Dynamo, Kafka, and Kubernetes. Experience
with cloud technology.
- Technical background in big data with a deep understanding of
issues in multiple areas such as data management, data analysis,
data processing, data serving, query processing, distributed
processing, high availability, statistics, data mining, machine
learning, and operational excellence of production systems
- Strong at technical goal setting for a project with measurable
and actionable success metrics. Good knowledge and experience in
measuring and monitoring service from a user experience
- Exceptional collaboration and partnership skills.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills. A
demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and
business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels
internally and externally.
Nice to Have
- Experience managing technical products (SaaS platform services,
- Past experience building Fintech products or incredible
- Experience in agile software development methodologies
- Trained Design-Thinker and strategist
Keywords: Marqeta, Inc., Oakland , Senior Principal Data Engineer, Engineering , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!