Youth Engagement Strategy Director
Company: XQ Institute
Posted on: April 10, 2021
XQ Institute is the nation's leading organization dedicated to
rethinking the high school experience so that every student
graduates ready to succeed in life. We work in communities
throughout the country, with individual schools and entire school
systems, to help them dream big about what high school could be,
turn their innovative ideas into action, and create more rigorous
and equitable schools. We share what's working with other schools
and districts, so they can tailor new models to the needs of their
own students and communities. We know that seeing is believing, so
we meet people where they are to share the importance and
possibility of change through listening, learning, and
storytelling. And our open-source tools, based on research and
design thinking, empower people to take up the challenge of
transforming their high schools with a unifying goal: unlocking the
American promise of a high-quality education for everyone.
The Youth Engagement Strategy Director will be a connector and a
builder who leads the ground-up creation of an XQ community of
young people who take an active role in the collective rethinking
of high school and educational justice in their communities and
nationally. Drawing on deep experience in organizing, the strategy
director will build XQ's capacity and extend our reach to mobilize
young people as advocates, contributors, and leaders in creating
the educational opportunities and experiences they need in their
high schools. The work of the director will ultimately be evident
in the establishment of an enduring and powerful collective of
youth and allies, who together make an impact in the nation's most
consequential political, social, and economic settings.
The Youth Engagement Strategy Director will partner closely with XQ
colleagues in Campaigns, Growth, and Education Content and Tools to
ensure that XQ's messaging to young people is consistent across
levels and audiences. This leader will have the capacity,
credibility, and vision to represent XQ in forging new
collaborations across existing and new organizations in the youth
advocacy community. Bilingual and bicultural fluency and
connectedness will significantly enhance the impact of the youth
engagement strategy director.
Youth Engagement Strategy
- Establish a strategy, tactics, and goals that prioritize youth
voice in XQ's thinking and design
- Create a roadmap of activities and outcomes (e.g., measures of
engagement or commitment; concrete results) to drive the core work
of a new XQ youth engagement team.
- Drive planning, operational execution, and overall performance
in line with the strategy and roadmap.
- Identify and create meaningful opportunities to authentically
engage young people in shaping the vision for the future of high
- Envision, plan, organize, execute, and evaluate the success of
youth-led events such as roadshows, round-tables, etc. Develop and
lead through vision, execution, and application of insights from
sourcing participants to invitations, registration, and attendee
tracking, presentation and materials support, and pre-and
- At all times, demonstrate an open, inclusive, and participatory
leadership style that creates space for authentic youth voice.
Approach the work in a spirit of listening and speaking up for, but
not on behalf of, youth voice. Youth Audience Development
- Transform the interest of young people in rethinking high
school that has been engendered through XQ's showcases across the
performing arts and mass media into opportunities for meaningful
contributions to systemic change.
- Define objectives and outcomes for evolving XQ's existing
Student Advisory Committee into an "energy hub" for the
organization and its initiatives, in a way that showcases XQ's
values and beliefs and inspires others.
- Work with XQ's social, email, and SMS channels to grow our
youth following and to excite and inspire them to be XQ champions
both online and offline.
- Lead and manage wider marketing campaigns and products that
have a youth-specific focus (e.g., XQ Challenges and badges,
College Pathfinder tool, etc).
- Contribute to the creation of a suite of tools for connecting
community members in ways that create value, inspire creativity,
and drive engagement for young people.
- Articulate and establish the ongoing conversational forums-both
offline and online-through which youth will maintain connectedness
to the longer-term strategic goals of XQ's work.
- Ensure that XQ approaches and research are accurately reflected
in youth-oriented materials and communications.
- Demonstrate accountability for achieving the anticipated
results and meeting targets for engagement, participation, and
other measurable outcomes, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Ensure efficient and seamless ongoing engagement with young
people through systems such as working with XQ's Database Manager
to organize and grow our youth audience in our CRM system. Youth
- Identify, vet, and bring on board partners that can strengthen
our community of youth; manage relationships with partners and with
young people in ways that reflect impeccable ethics and
- Explore brand relationships and product and service
opportunities; analyze and predict the impacts for both parties of
brand and media connectedness.
- Define and stand up groups and chapter extensions headed by
youth leaders, Student Advisory Council, etc Qualifications and
- 7+ years of relevant experience in youth development (bonus if
you have experience supporting youth-led campaigns)
- A passion for youth agency, educational equity, and social
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication
- Familiarity with a wide range of digital engagement tools and
- Experience running events and programs
- A strategic point of view and knack for project management (you
can keep an eye on the big picture while managing the details)
- Ability to build trusting relationships and collaborate well
across geographies and generation
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
- Ability to work to a budget and to make it go a long way
- Proficient using the latest versions of G-Suite, Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Salesforce, and ActiveCampaign etc.
- Ability to work full-time and outside of typical office hours;
some evening and weekend work will be required
- Ability to adapt to challenges and opportunities with a
- Excited to understand and articulate XQ's mission and to embody
XQ's brand: bold, imaginative, smart, non-conforming, and
- Local to Oakland or the greater Bay Area. While this position
will start out location-flexible, you will eventually report to our
XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this
Please apply online. In your cover letter, please address why your
skills, interests, and experience align with the requirements for
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ, promoting,
celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals
are considered without regard to race, gender, age, sexual
orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status,
disability, marital status, or ancestry.
Keywords: XQ Institute, Oakland , Youth Engagement Strategy Director, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!