California Senior Legislative Specialist or California Legislative Director
Company: Center for Biological Diversity Inc.
Posted on: May 15, 2022
California Senior Legislative Specialist or California
Legislative Director About the Organization At the Center for
Biological Diversity, we believe that the welfare of human beings
is deeply linked to nature - to the existence in our world of a
vast diversity of wild animals and plants. Because diversity has
intrinsic value, and because its loss impoverishes society, we work
to secure a future for all species, great and small, hovering on
the brink of extinction. We do so through science, law and creative
media, with a focus on protecting the lands, waters and climate
that species need to survive.
We want those who come after us to inherit a world where the wild
is still alive! Description The Center for Biological Diversity
seeks a Senior Legislative Specialist or Legislative Director to
join our team working for progressive, urgent state government
action in California on climate and biodiversity protection. The
position is based in Sacramento. Alternate nearby locations may be
considered on a case-by-case basis.General position overview:This
position will have a primary focus on climate protection, working
with our Climate Law Institute team to wage innovative legal and
grassroots campaigns to protect people, wildlife and ecosystems
from climate change and the dirty and dangerous fossil fuel
industry. We are working to end oil production in California and
speed the just transition to 100 percent clean, renewable energy,
including 100 percent zero emission vehicle sales. This position
also includes work on a range of other important issues, from
wildlife connectivity to oceans protection and environmental
health.The successful candidate will advance the Center's
state-level policy priorities in Sacramento, as part of a dynamic
team including organizers, scientists, lawyers, and media
- Serve as a key strategic member of the team focused on
coordinating and advancing the Center's climate and overall
state-level climate policy priorities in Sacramento.
- Track, monitor, and influence legislation and regulatory
processes related to the Center's policy priorities.
- Build and maintain an open line of communication with the state
legislature and agencies with the goal of advancing our policy
priorities-including through one-on-one and group meetings.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key allies and
advocates to advance common goals.
- Analyze legislation and regulatory documents and coordinate
with Center staff to develop written comments and other advocacy
- Coordinate and facilitate excellent communication throughout
the organization on state level policy and advocacy.
- Attend hearings and workshops in Sacramento; provide written
and verbal testimony.
- Represent the Center at in-person meetings, hearings, and
events in Sacramento (when in-person meetings resume, and it is
safe to travel).Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- Minimum eight years experience in public advocacy, including
minimum two years experience analyzing and researching legislative
and regulatory text proposals and the ability to do so accurately,
thoroughly, and efficiently. More experienced candidates may be
considered for Legislative Director.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues and
organizations with a wide array of goals, perspectives, and
backgrounds, including experience working with coalitions.
- Commitment to incorporating principles of justice, equity, and
inclusion into all aspects of the work.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate challenges,
including from a powerful and well-resourced opposition.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to succeed in a
fast-paced environment with a full workload where it is necessary
to balance multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Excellent analytic, written, and verbal communication
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with a
- Interest in climate policy and biodiversity
protection.Preferred qualifications, skills, and qualities:
- Experience with public interest legislative and/or regulatory
advocacy in California, including with running, supporting, or
- Experience with government affairs.
- Experience in environmental campaigns.
- Public speaking experience.
- Experience with media outreach and media interviews.
- Experience tracking multiple lines of work and tasks on
- Ability to translate complex scientific and legal information
for multiple audiences.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or another language in addition to
English, and translation experience to support relevant
campaigns.We recognize there are many paths to this role, and we
are open to additional experiences and competencies that we may not
have described. Rather than meeting all of the specified
requirements, we are most interested in finding the right addition
to the team who can help advance our policy and advocacy
work.Application process:Please apply online by submitting a cover
letter, resume, writing sample and 3-5 references with your
application. The position will remain open until filled. No
telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews
will be contacted.Salary Range: The salary range is between $70,000
to $110,000, depending on experience.Benefits Package:
- Paid generous medical, dental, and vision plan.
- Paid STD and LTD.
- 403(b) plan with opportunity for match.
- Informal and collegial work atmosphere.The Center for
Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining
and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome,
embrace and respect diversity of people, identities, and cultures,
and we encourage people who identify as Black, Indigenous, and
other people of color to apply for open positions. We are committed
to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion.
The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving
life on Earth.We are an equal opportunity employer. - Position
Requirements Full-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Location Oakland, CA
Program(s) Climate Law Institute Open Date 4/4/2022 Keywords EOE
Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status or any other
characteristic protected by law. This position is currently
accepting applications. Digital Director in Oakland, CA
Posted on: 2/23/2022
Science Intern in Oakland, CA
Posted on: 3/18/2022
Senior Campaigner- Public Lands in Oakland, CA
Posted on: 8/18/2021
Keywords: Center for Biological Diversity Inc., Oakland , California Senior Legislative Specialist or California Legislative Director, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!