Marine Operations Manager
Company: Acara Solutions
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Acara Solutions is looking for an Operations Manager for our
client located in Oakland, CA
* The incumbent is expected to supervise all hourly-paid employees
working in the assigned area.
* This is to be accomplished primarily through the management and
direction of longshore foremen, supercargoes, and chief
supervisors, and through the direct supervision of planners.
* The incumbent will be held accountable for the performance of
employees under the incumbent's supervision.
* Interview candidates for steady positions, including foremen,
supercargoes, chief supervisors and planners, all steady longshore
labor, and department staff.
* Make the final hiring decisions.
* Accountable for the work performed by employees under the
incumbent's supervision to ensure that all work assignments are
completed properly and safely.
* Responsible for all decisions with respect to scheduling and
interruption in work.
* Determine amount of labor and equipment necessary to
cost-effectively satisfy the customer's requirements.
* Decide how a ship will be worked by extending work shifts if
necessary to meet vessel's sailing time.
* Keep accurate payroll records. Review and sign original
timesheets prior to processing.
* Conduct periodic performance assessments.
* Decide upon and carry out discipline, or direct longshore
foremen, supercargoes, and chief supervisors to carry out
discipline, in accordance with Collective Bargaining Agreements
* Investigate the facts concerning alleged misconduct and poor
performance by longshore personnel and make decisions whether to
fire (send back to the hall) and whether to file an employer
* Prepare employer complaints when warranted ensuring accuracy in
the description of the incident.
* Represent the Company at the LRC meeting.
* Utilize the applicable labor agreements and grievance adjustment
* Adjustment of Grievances - Any grievance brought to the
incumbent's attention will be handled expeditiously.
* The incumbent will investigate the issue thoroughly and use
independent judgment in adjusting the grievance.
* If the grievance carriers over to another part of the Tripack
operation, the incumbent will work with the manager responsible for
* Distribute steady labor to ensure best possible coverage for each
* Know the strengths and weaknesses of the labor force to determine
what assignment would best suit the requirements of the
* Order supplemental labor through the various dispatch halls, ever
mindful of specific times for ordering and canceling labor for each
* Study and apply all labor allocation rules and track the number
of steady clerks and bosses, as well as clerks and bosses from the
* Study and apply union rules regarding dispatching, crane operator
manning and steady skilled workers.
* Ensure the strict adherence with the International Maritime
Dangerous Cargo code and the Code of Federal Regulations (IMDG and
CFR) for hazardous cargo.
* Instruct frontline supervision at the start of each shift
regarding always maintaining a safe working environment.
* Prepare a productivity report for assigned department.
* This report be updated on a shift-by-shift basis and includes
manpower for each shift.
* The report be balanced against the dispatch log at the end of
* Coordinate closely with M&R (Maintenance and Repair) to
ensure equipment demand/availability and triage plans are
* Coordinate vessel schedules, pro-forma integrity, gang structure
and oversight/assignment of dispatch, steady scheduling and
* Constantly monitor the progress of vessel operation and make
adjustments when necessary.
* Communicate with the vessel agent regarding all aspects of the
* Prepare a vessel productivity report for each vessel.
* The report be balanced against the supercargo shift report at the
end of each shift.
* The report is then totaled and detailed against inbound and
outbound cargo manifests and submitted to Senior Management.
* Direct, supervise and analyze all gate and yard preplanning
activities and their overall physical operation, to ensure customer
servicing requirements are met.
* Manage and supervise on-dock rail activities to ensure a high
level of safety and production, and effective coordination with
rail carriers and customers.
* Reasonable accommodations be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* On even and uneven surfaces, around heavy cargo handling
equipment and construction zones.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $94,000.00 per year
* Dental insurance
* Flexible schedule
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* Tuition reimbursement
* Vision insurance
Supplemental pay types:
* Bonus pay
* Commission pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Oakland, CA 94601: Reliably commute or planning to relocate
before starting work (Required)
* Bachelor's (Required)
* Vessel: 5 years (Required)
* cargo and containers: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Acara Solutions, Oakland , Marine Operations Manager, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!