Company: Bonita House
Posted on: January 24, 2023
COVID-19 considerations:In response to COVID-19, we have
instituted many safeguards to protect our employees by requiring
that all staff and clients be required to wear masks prior to
entering our facility, are COVID symptom screened and contact
traced, we are taking temperature checks daily, and have installed
a clear protective barrier at our front desk.
Please note: You may be required to take aCOVID-19 test prior to
entering the facility.
Bonita House, Inc. (BHI) is a well-respected nonprofit mental
health agency with multiple sites in Alameda County and an
operating budget of $11.5 million. BHI was founded in 1971. BHI is
also a social rehabilitation agency providing a full range of
Medi-Cal services to adults with co-occurring serious mental health
and substance use disorders.
Compassion: Committed to caring, dignity and kindness
Respect: Honor each individual and provide highly ethical
Progress: Leading the way in creating opportunities to change for
Resilience: Channeling hope, building strengths to successfully
recover, adapt and grow
Embracing Differences: Honor and celebrate our diverse communities
and individual uniqueness
POSITION SUMMARY:Reporting to theDirector of Finance, the
Accounting Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management of
all accounting, stakeholder reporting and budgeting activities. The
Controller will lead all day-to-day accounting operations and
supervise a team of 4 staff members, including functional
responsibility over areas such as accounting, budgeting, accounts
payable, accounts receivable, general ledger management, fixed
assets, payroll, grants administration and housing accounting. The
Accounting Manager will ensure that Bonita House has the systems
and procedures in place to support effective program implementation
as well as directing and preparing for yearly audits. The
Accounting Manager will work closely with program leaders and their
staff, not only to educate regarding accounting procedures but also
to explore how the accounting function can support program
operations. The Accounting Manager will provide support to the
Director of Finance with the preparation of presentations to the
board finance and audit committee.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for various accounting
functions, including accurate and timely completion of monthly
financial statements; account reconciliations; cash receipts,
preparation of invoices to funders, grant reconciliation, and
special projects. This position is responsible for ensuring that
financial transactions are recorded timely, accurately, and in
accordance with US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Practices),
Federal and local regulations, and Bonita House's Accounting
Policies and Procedures. The Accounting Manager acts as primary
backup for key accounting staff.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:Required Qualifications:The
Accounting Manager position requires a mature leader with five or
more years of progressive years of accounting and finance
leadership experience. S/he will ideally have experience in a
complex nonprofit that has multiple programs. Other qualifications
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering
commitment to the Bonita House mission; a proactive, hands-on
strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the ED, the
responsibility for finance.
- Prior nonprofit finance experience with a 5+ year successful
track record in a senior financial management role.
- Minimum of a BA; CPA, CMA and/or MBA preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and how to apply GAAP in practice to
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing
reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and
receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for
- A track record in grant and contracts management as it relates
to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation
grants is essential
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing
software installations and managing relationships with software
vendors in the cloud; advanced knowledge of accounting and
reporting software. Experience with ABILA MIP nonprofit accounting
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a
diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which
allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in
effectively communicating key data, including presentations to
senior management and outside partners
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to
individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance
- Recognized success in developing and monitoring systems to
manage both internal operations and the financial effectiveness of
various programs that involve high levels of collaboration,
particularly with program directors or leads and other senior
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:Finance and Accounting Leadership
- Manage the activities of the accounting department for the
accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports
including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly
financial statements, annual audits and annual budgets in
conformity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and
other regulatory requirements.
- Manage the activities of the disbursement function, ensuring
the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, purchase
orders, credit card payments, core employee expense reports, cash
control, timely clearing of stale dated checks, payroll processing
and total payroll tax compliance.
- Manage the activities of accounts receivable to ensure the
accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging
components including billings, cash receipts application, etc;
quarter and year-end payroll closing including federal and state
reports; and check statistic management.
- Manage the month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close process
accurately and on time.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting for Bonita House and related
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of
revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual
- Lead the annual audit and 990 processes and if need be, a
Single Audit process as well.
- Ensure the timely filing of all applicable tax returns for
Bonita House, Bonita Inc. and its fiscally sponsored
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial
reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate
monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor
progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Bonita
House's financial status.
- Assist Bonita House's leadership in the annual budgeting and
planning process; administer and review all financial plans and
compare actual results with a view to identify, explain, and
correct variances as appropriate.
- Collaborate with members of the senior leadership team in
drafting, reviewing, and verifying accuracy of annual budgets and
reports by program, funder, fund and project levels.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting;
ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and
program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial
reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in
partnership with the program leads; continuously collaborate with
program leads to assess the financial efficacy of program
operations and establish finance and administrative systems to
support program operations.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping
with policies and investment guidelines.
- Research and develop policies and procedures based on industry
best practices and organizational needs. Implement policies in
partnership with staff and assure communication of new policies to
staff and clients.
- Analyze performance of Accounting & Finance Department at both
systems and position level.
- Make recommendations for improving ongoing accounting
operations with a target of month-end closes 15-20 days after end
- Work with accounting staff to complete the monthly accounting
- Make recommendations on optimum staffing that will adequately
support accounting/finance operations of the agency.
- Implement operational changes to improve efficiency, accuracy,
and internal controls.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to
clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement
training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual
and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications
with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and
promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Serve as a core employee, supporting key Bonita House events
and contributing to our culture and structure, as well as our
- Other duties as assigned
EOE AA M/F/V/Disability:
Bonita House Inc. is committed to providing equal opportunity to
all qualified persons regardless of race, color, citizenship
status, national origin, ancestry, gender, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information,
age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital
status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law
Keywords: Bonita House, Oakland , Accounting Manager, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!