Company: Delta Dental of California
Posted on: May 18, 2019
If you think this sounds like you, let s chat. We would love to
tell you more!
Follow us @lifeatDDins on Instagram, lifeatDDins on Facebook,
@lifeatDDins on Twitter
ABOUT DELTA DENTAL
As the first company to specialize in dental insurance, we are
passionate about oral health and its importance to future
generations. Our core purpose is the advancement of oral health
care to our customers, partners and consumers through dental
insurance programs and philanthropic efforts.
We are part of the Delta Dental Plans Association, a network of
companies that provides dental coverage to 74 million people in the
U.S. Delta Dental of California, Delta Dental of New York, Inc.,
Delta Dental of Pennsylvania and Delta Dental Insurance Company,
together with our affiliate companies, form one of the nation s
largest dental benefits delivery systems, covering 33 million
enrollees. All of our companies are members, or affiliates of
members, of the Delta Dental Plans Association, a network of 39
Delta Dental companies throughout the country.
Delta Dental provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all
employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, Delta Dental complies with
applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in
employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
Reporting to the Vice President and Chief Actuary, the Director,
Actuarial will be responsible for helping to develop the business
strategy and driving performance of the enterprise Actuarial
organization. This is a challenging opportunity to contribute in a
visible position at time of transition due to expanding product
lines and geographic markets, impact of health care reform, and
functional and system alignment enterprise-wide.
How you will make an impact:
* Lead the Actuarial organization s data, reporting and analytical
functions, including standardized and ad-hoc report production,
data validation, oversight of requirements and application of
Actuarial tools, etc.
* Oversee actuarial and analytical staff in multiple locations.
* Serve as a member of the actuarial leadership team, and aid in
staffing strategy, talent planning and culture of employee
engagement and accountability.
* Oversee Underwriting and Sales support functions, including
backup for rating, disruption, repricing, and RFP responses.
* Assist the department in its transition from a production
department to a strategic partner that helps drive the organization
towards analytically-based decision-making.
* Oversee support and maintenance of intra-departmental systems,
tools, and data repositories.
* Develop influence and collaborative working relationships across
* Represent the enterprise with key alliances such as
consultants/brokers, clients, auditors, reinsurance partners,
regulatory representatives, representatives of Delta Dental Plan
Association or Managed Health Care agencies.
* Support enterprise initiative to streamline and automate business
processes throughout the prospect and renewal cycles
* Partner with Professional Services team to monitor and analyze
the effectiveness of Delta s utilization management programs.
* Partner with Delta IT to assure data access and integrity, and to
leverage emerging technologies toward improved decision analytics
and reporting tools.
* Partner with Sales and Product Development teams to develop,
automate and disseminate new customer reports, including the
development of a Wellness reporting package.
What we look for:
* A bachelor s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics,
Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or a related field;
MBA and/or FSA/ASA attainment is preferred but not required.
* 10+ years in progressively responsible actuarial or underwriting
roles, including experience in managed health care or
* 5+ years of supervisory experience.
* Understanding of insurance products and overall actuarial and
underwriting functions and financial levers, including reserving,
rate development, trend analysis, reporting, network analytics and
* Strong knowledge of or experience with programming languages
(especially SQL) and Data Warehouse development and
* Proven history of effective leadership to motivate and inspire,
grow and develop, and coach and manage employees and teams.
* Effective organizational skills to lead staff in multiple
* Demonstrated experience in problem analysis and problem
resolution at both a strategic and functional level.
* Excellent communication, influence, presentation, team and
* Willingness to travel to all enterprise locations and to other
locations as needed.
Benefits and perks:
* 12 days starting vacation plus 11 holidays and your birthday
* Multiple medical insurance options: 100% paid or low cost
* 100% paid dental insurance
* 100% paid vision insurance
* Onsite gym and/or gym discount and fitness incentive
* Culture of learning: substantial tuition reimbursement to improve
* Career growth: we love promoting from within
* Strong commitment to work/life balance
* Technology allowance
* Social responsibility and volunteer opportunities
Keywords: Delta Dental of California, Oakland , Director, Actuarial, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!