Director of Human Resources
Company: WestCoast Children's Clinic
Posted on: August 17, 2019
About WestCoast Children's Clinic (WCC)
Since 1979, WestCoast Children's Clinic has provided mental health
services to over 20,000 vulnerable children and families, trained
generations of clinicians, and published innovative research to
inform public policy. Annually we serve over 1,700 kids who all
live below the federal poverty level. Sixty-five percent are in
foster care due to abuse, neglect or because their parents can't
take care of them. Through five community-based programs, WestCoast
helps children grow up free to realize their potential. What we
learn from our clients informs our practice, research and advocacy
The Director of Human Resources is dedicated to helping our agency
make a difference in the community, and is responsible for the
overall administration, coordination, and evaluation of the
agency's human resource function in a growing agency of 170+ staff
members. This integral position is also part of the agency's Senior
Management Team, Executive Management Team, and Human Resources
Committee, and regularly interfaces and partners with the agency's
leadership team on strategic opportunities and initiatives.
How you'll make an impact:
Organizational Health and Culture
- Facilitate efforts to define desired workplace culture and
develop policies, practices and strategies for cultivating a
healthy and productive work environment.
- Develop and implement workplace practices that reflect values
and ensure fair treatment of all employees.
- Develop and maintain a program of employee events, gatherings,
and communications that cultivate healthy culture, productivity,
impact, and happiness.
- Regularly assess staff and management feedback on workplace
culture and satisfaction. Develop strategies to address areas for
- Develop a team that is experienced by staff as accessible, fair
and honest in dealing with workplace issues.
Management and Staff Development:
- Works seamlessly with the Training Department to assess,
define, and oversee agency-wide new hire orientation and training
needs for staff development, including third-party training vendor
selection and evaluation.
- Collaborate with the Executive Team to assess and implement
leadership team development programs.
- Lead succession planning discussions and collaborate with the
Executive Team to define and implement needed organizational
changes in anticipation of future needs and agency growth.
- Advise and manage personnel issues, performance improvement,
and employment termination processes and policies in collaboration
with department leaders.
- Determine, communicate, and manage annual performance
evaluation and organizational goal-setting process.
- Manage the quality of the HR department's interface with agency
staff for HR-related questions and issues, ensuring a high level of
- Directly supervise the Human Resources support staff.
Employee Relations and Benefits:
- Provide counsel and resources to management staff consistent
with labor regulations and company culture, in support of
addressing workplace conflict and gaps in job performance.
- Foster the effective use of feedback systems to promote clear,
timely and productive dialogue on work related issues between
management and staff.
- Actively participate in Staff Affinity groups and employee
engagement programs, providing guidance and support to one or more
staff health and wellness initiatives.
- Develop and update employee benefits plans, ensuring these are
competitive and effective in staff recruitment and retention.
- Oversee the administration of all staff benefit plans including
health insurance, 403b, STD/LTD and all leave policies.
Recruitment and Retention:
- Provide hands-on leadership and support to Program and
Department Directors throughout the hiring process, setting
standards for selection, developing effective job descriptions and
advertising to enhance diversity in qualified candidates.
- Define and communicate compensation philosophy and practice,
including salary grades and ranges, performance-based compensation
plan, and benefits package.
- Ensure salary structure is competitive and equitable through
periodic external benchmarking reviews.
- Participate in industry groups and associations as appropriate
to anticipate trends, emerging issues, and legislative changes at
local, state, and national levels.
HR Reporting and Compliance:
- Actively participate in the HR Committee, prepare HR Committee
meeting materials, and HR materials for the Board of
- Lead the agency's HR Management section of The Joint Commission
- Oversee the administration of company worker's compensation
insurance, conducting timely investigation and reporting for cause
- Act as the agency's HIPAA Compliance Officer for the HR
- Ensure the agency's existing policies are updated and in
compliance with applicable employment related laws and regulations,
and develop new policies in line with organizational needs,
legislative changes and industry best practices.
The successful candidate has---
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or
- 7 + years' experience in an HR leadership role.
- Broad cross-functional HR expertise and demonstrated
operational and leadership skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others - strong personal and
- Excellent computer technology skills.
- Experience in a non-profit or community-based mental health
Who are you?
- An expert in HR functions, including but not limited to
recruitment and retention, succession planning, total compensation
and benefits, training, staff evaluation and personnel issues, with
a high level of integrity and customer service orientation.
- An authentic and humanistic leader dedicated to the mission of
improving services and outcomes for vulnerable children, youth and
- Effective in working with diverse communities, and
knowledgeable of and sensitive to multicultural issues including
race, class, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
- Strategically-minded with strong business acumen.
- Able to operate effectively at all levels - keeping on point,
staying organized, and managing work processes efficiently.
- Leads with curiosity and openness to team problem solving.
- Organizationally savvy and able to communicate
- Demonstrates energy and drive in their work approach.
- Skillful in managing diverse interpersonal relationships -
inspiring others, acting with excellent character, and being open
Position Details and Compensation:
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Chief
Financial Officer. Salary depending upon experience, plus 10%
annual performance-based incentive compensation. Includes
comprehensive benefits package and 403(b).Benefits:
- Performance-based compensation and retirement plan
- Employer paid medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term
- 403b option
- Flex-spending options
- 20 days paid time off per year (equivalent to 4 weeks), 11 paid
Holidays, plus Self-Care Leave
- Casual work environment that is professional and supportive
WCC is passionate about leading and encouraging open conversations
around race, gender, power, and privilege, and how these impact
community mental health. Our staff affinity groups include Staff of
Color Council, LGBTQ Staff Group, White Accountability Group, and
Equity and Inclusion Council.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to
diminishing the influence of privilege and discrimination in our
field and our workplace, whether due to differences concerning age,
citizenship, color, disability, marital or parental status, race,
religion, gender or sexual orientation.
Keywords: WestCoast Children's Clinic, Oakland , Director of Human Resources, Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!