Vice President of Finance- National (Oakland)
Company: College Track
Posted on: August 17, 2019
About College Track
College Track is a comprehensive college completion program that
empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from
college. From ninth grade through college graduation, our 10-year
program removes the academic, financial, and social-emotional
barriers that prevent low-income and first-generation students from
earning their college degree. In 1997, we started with 25 students
in East Palo Alto, and today, we have ten centers located in
underserved communities across California, Colorado, Louisiana, and
the D.C. Metro Area with more than 3,000 students on the path to
upward social mobility.
To learn more, please visit
College Track students graduate from college at a rate that is more
than double the national average for low-income and
first-generation students. Five years out of college, our graduates
are employed full-time, and over 85% report earnings greater than
their parents. By helping our students maximize the value of their
four-year college degree, which includes minimizing student loan
debt, securing internships, and limiting the need to work while in
college--we prepare them to succeed in the 21st century
At College Track, our values drive the way we do our work, and we
look for individuals who share our passion. We blend an
entrepreneurial spirit with our nonprofit roots, cultivating a
dynamic culture where everyone's contributions are valued and
- COMMITMENT: We have an unwavering belief in our students.
- PASSION: We are dedicated to changing our nation's college
- JOY: We create environments rich with smiles and laughter.
- AUTHENTICITY: We believe relationships matter.
- EXCELLENCE: Our students deserve nothing but the best. Position
We are seeking a professional, dynamic, hands-on, collaborative and
self-motivated leader to join us as our Vice President of Finance
and to serve as our financial and operations expert within the
As a key member of the national leadership team and reporting
directly to the Chief Finance and Operating Officer, the Vice
President of Finance will lead a team of five direct reports and
oversee Finance, IT, and facilities functions.
The Vice President of Finance
- provides strategic and values-driven leadership, oversight and
guidance for College Track by establishing, implementing, and
monitoring financial plans and budgets as outlined in the strategic
- works closely with colleagues across the organization (e.g.
program, human resources, development, operations, etc.) and across
geographies to assess and implement business process and system
improvements that foster efficient, scalable business processes.
- is responsible for the development of financial management
strategy, oversight and management of all fiscal operations,
assurance and regulatory compliance, corporate compliance
- leads in the development of the information technology and
facilities departments, and other departments assigned
- leads in managing risk, including but not limited to
operational, business, liability, legal, and regulatory risk, for
- contributes to the development and achievement of the
organization's strategic goals. Our ideal candidate will be a
strong people manager/developer and a true finance business partner
in a mission-driven education nonprofit. The Vice-President of
Finance will be as comfortable digging into numbers, spreadsheets,
and formulas, as s/he is at interacting with team members across
the organization to support the growth and development of the
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Lead College Track's annual budgeting process, including
collaborating with national departments, regions, and site leaders
to understand and decide on financial trade-offs and
(dis)/investment opportunities that produces a final, board
approved budget with clear links to the annual goals and key
strategies from the annual planning process.
- Provide budget owners (some of whom may have limited financial
experience) with key insights, actionable intelligence, operational
and financial learnings such that they are able to make business
decisions accordingly. Provide system and report training to help
them independently access their budget and performance
- Proactively anticipate and forecast variances to budget,
thereby providing early indicators about potential issues, to
engage the National Leadership Team and budget owners to create
action plans to address negative variances and/or take advantage of
investment opportunities. Financial Modeling/Strategic Planning
- Create and manage comprehensive financial models that support
organization-wide strategic planning, including across multiple
business units, product lines, and departments.
- Ensure team members partner with budget owners to help
understand and translate business opportunities into multivariate
financial models, including for forecasting, sensitivity analysis,
and scenario planning to drive business decision-making.
- Serve as an effective thought partner to organizational leaders
through interpretation of complex financial information to assist
in decision-making. Financial Reporting and Development Support
- Oversee the coordination and monitoring of cash operations and
capital planning, including forecasting needs and developing
appropriate financial sources to ensure adequate cash flow and
access to working and long-term capital.
- Oversee the monthly and annual close process to produce timely,
accurate financial statements, including budget to actuals,
statement of activities, balance sheets, cash flow, and
- Ensure the team partners with the development team to
accurately forecast, track, and plan for philanthropic
- Oversee nonprofit fund, government, and grant accounting in
close collaboration with the Controller, Development staff and
- Develop and produce key monthly internal financial performance
reports and dashboards for the organization that drive
organizational accountability and provide high-level results
- Review and edit grant agreements to ensure alignment with
budget and reporting deadlines.
- Ensure the accurate and timely production of all financial
performance and forecast reports, budgets, and reporting tools for
internal execution and external relations with funders. Accounting
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring
compliance with appropriate GAAP standards, regulatory
requirements, and board policies.
- Oversee the accurate and timely month and fiscal year end
closing process, ensuring completion of all audit and compliance
- Oversee the tracking and reporting of the organization's
temporarily and permanently restricted fund and administer timely
- Oversee annual audit process and maintain relationship with
external auditors; liaise with the finance committee of the board
of directors; assess any changes necessary. Finance Systems,
Processes and Procedures
- Regularly review, monitor, recommend, and drive improvements to
finance policies and procedures to ensure internal controls are in
place that protect the organization against fraud and provide
assurances that College Track's accounting records are accurate and
- Provide financial operations expertise and institutional
knowledge to help coordinate improvements to the overall
organization, with a strong focus on data-driven decision-making
and analysis. IT and Facilities Oversight
- Grow and manage an IT team and consultants to support all
systems for a rapidly growing 150 employee national company.
- Oversee IT vendor selection and relationships; negotiate and
manage vendor contracts; support facility vendor selection and
- Oversee the coordination of national real estate acquisition,
buildout, space planning, and facilities maintenance consistent
with the College Track brand.
- Oversee facility issues, including major maintenance projects,
builds, and lease negotiation and agreements. Risk Management
- Oversee business insurance, risk management, and legal
activities including letters of agreement, contracts, leases and
other legal documents and agreements.
- In collaboration with other national departments, serve as
primary liaison addressing operational risk management issues and
- Ensures full compliance with all codes, regulations (local,
state, and federal), and safety standards to protect the well-being
of all students, guests, and employees occupying the buildings.
Skills & Experience Required
First and foremost, the Vice-President of Finance must embrace the
College Track vision of transforming low-income communities into
places where college readiness and college graduation are the
norms. S/he must embody and model College Track core values and
model a deep commitment to improving equity.
Additionally, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA or Master's degree with a
concentration in finance or similar field preferred.
- 12+ years of management experience, with at least five years in
a senior leadership role in finance and operations preferably in
the education, non-profit or corporate sectors
- Significant experience with non-profit accounting systems.....
click apply for full job details
Keywords: College Track, Oakland , Vice President of Finance- National (Oakland), Executive , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!