Sr Physician Assistant - Emergency Services / ED
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Under the direction of a supervising physician, the Senior
Physician Assistant provides high quality, efficient, team based
patient focused care. The Senior Physician Assistant
responsibilities may include managing patients in the office,
hospital, ED and/or perioperative setting. The Senior Physician
Assistant may be required to First Assist in the OR or perform
other department specific procedures. The Senior Physician
Assistant may also facilitate on call responsibilities for his/her
supervising physician. The Senior Physician Assistant's daily
responsibilities may vary based upon the department & supervising
physician needs and may require evening or weekend hours. The
Senior Physician Assistant, by virtue of his/her experience and
competency in the role, provides a high level of clinical and
operational expertise and may function as a mentor to less
experienced Physician Assistants.
Essential Responsibilities:The Physician Assistant will practice as
part of a team under the direction of their supervising
physician.Primary Duties will be inclusive of the following but not
- Examines patient, performs comprehensive physical examination,
and compiles patient medical data, including health history and
results of physical examination.
- Administers or orders diagnostic tests, such as imaging
studies, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests, and interprets
test results for deviations from normal.
- Performs therapeutic procedures such as injections,
immunizations, suturing and wound care, and managing infection.
- Performs other department specific diagnostic or therapeutic
- Develops and implements patient management plans, records
progress notes, and assists in provision of continuity of care.
- Instructs and counsels patients regarding compliance with
prescribed therapeutic regimens, normal growth and development,
family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health
maintenance and other relevant patient education.Based upon
Specific Specialty, additional duties may include the following:
- Facilitate admissions, transfers, discharges.
- First assist in surgeries or perform procedures as applicable.
- Round on inpatients.
- Performs admission evaluation on patients to include: obtaining
basic medical information and history, reviewing patient's medical
record, performing physical exam, documenting findings into patient
medical record, and reporting deviations from normal findings to
- Provides patient and family with pre-operative/pre-procedure
and other pertinent education.
- Answers questions regarding surgery or procedures, recovery and
risk factor modification; provides blood transfusion information as
applicable; performs peri-operative procedures; locates and
utilizes diagnostic images, instruments and pertinent patient
- Reviews patient chart noting allergies, pertinent medical
history, and abnormal physical findings.
- Assists in performing surgical procedures and other procedures
consistent with the standards of care and practice guidelines.
- Depending on the specialty, may work as the First Assist during
surgical procedures, start IV's, and/or perform suturing.
- Performs post-operative procedures to include entering standard
post-operative orders into patient medical records; assists
physicians with evaluation and management of patient's status
during recovery; reviews vital signs, laboratory and diagnostic
studies; assists with management of patients.
- Facilitates patient discharge; dictates discharge and transfer
summaries in a timely manner.Other Duties
- The Senior Physician Assistant provides a high level of
clinical and operational expertise and may function as a mentor to
less experienced Physician Assistants.
- May collaborate with the supervising physician, manager and
other department members on performance improvement activities.
- Minimum three (3) years previous experience in the last five
(5) years as a physician assistant.Education
- Graduate from an ARC-PA accredited physician assistant
program.License, Certification, Registration
- California State Physician Assistant License, issued by
Physician Assistant Board under Medical Board of California by date
- NCCPA certified at time of hire and maintained throughout
career at Kaiser Permanente.
- BLS certification required.
- Must have a Nat'l Provider Identifier (NPI), or obtain an NPI,
prior to employment start date and meet current Medicare
requirements for billing.
- Fluoroscopy Permit required, or must be obtained within 18
months from the date of hire in Orthopedics, Interventional
Radiology, and Radiation Oncology only.
- May be required to have experience and competency in performing
specific tasks required by the specific department.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
- Advanced Certification in specialty area, preferred.
PrimaryLocation : California,Oakland,Oakland Hospital
HoursPerWeek : 20
Shift : Day
Workdays : Friday and Saturday
WorkingHoursStart : 08:00 AM
WorkingHoursEnd : 04:00 PM
Job Schedule : Part-time
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : NUE-NCAL-05-NUE-Non Union
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Physician Assistants,Nursing Licensed & Nurse
Department : Oakland Hospital - Emergency - 0206
Travel : Yes, 5 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a
diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation,
national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry,
disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information,
other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or
any other protected status.
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Oakland , Sr Physician Assistant - Emergency Services / ED, Healthcare , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!