Human Resources Director
Company: Bishop O'Dowd High School
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Lucas Group, a Korn Ferry Company, has been engaged by Bishop
O'Dowd High School in Oakland, California, on their search for a HR
Director. This is a newly created role, reporting to the
CFO/Administrative Officer.Mission: Bishop O'Dowd High School is a
Catholic college-preparatory community, guided by the teachings of
Jesus Christ, that educates its diverse student body to build a
more just, joyful and sustainable world.Charism:Finding God In All
Things Calls Us to:Community in Diversity,Strength of
Character,Academic Excellence,Kinship With Creation,Social
Justice,JoyJob SummaryReporting to the Chief Financial &
Administrative Officer, and coordinating with the Human Resource
Department at the Diocese of Oakland, the Human Resources Director
is responsible for the leadership, development, and management of
personnel policies and practices, including all regulatory
requirements, recruitment, employment and retention, classification
and compensation, performance management, training, professional
development, and employee relations. A significant role of this
position is to have a pulse of the organizational climate to
develop recommendations/programs to attract and retain colleagues,
as well as maintain, support, and enhance the diversity of the
community. The successful candidate will not only maintain a
strategic role but will also be required to be "hands-on" in
completing administrative tasks. Working at Bishop O'Dowd High
School requires a commitment to the mission and values of the
school.Essential Responsibilities:HR Laws & Employee Benefits
- Updates the Employee Handbook as appropriate, which includes
researching and advising the school's senior leadership team
relative to best practices and relevant guidelines.
- Ensures the organization complies with applicable
laws/regulations, and pro-actively advises senior leadership
- Stays abreast of developments and changes in laws related to
compensation, benefits, leave, and retirement, as well as general
- In consultation with the Diocese of Oakland's Human Resources
Department, reviews the school's benefits program, serves as a
campus point person for benefit programs, and oversees the Human
Resources Manager in the annual renewal and open enrollment
- Oversees/administers the workers' compensation claim
- Partners with the Director of Equity & Belonging to develop
programs and policies that encourage a diverse group of candidates
while mitigating bias in the hiring process.
- Oversees the employment process for open positions, which
includes developing and overseeing practices to attract and hire
individuals who reflect the diversity of the community we
- Promotes and implements the mission of diversity and inclusion
in the administration of Human Resources policies, procedures,
services, and programs, including recruitment and selection as well
as compliance with ADA and FMLA.
- Provides consultation and training relative to processes and
guidelines for the staffing of Faculty, Administrative and Staff
- Develops, reviews, and updates Bishop O'Dowd High School's
employment applications, job descriptions/postings, and employment
- Oversees the onboarding process for all positions.Employee
Relations & Retention
- Partner with the Director of Equity & Belonging in creating
policies and practices that create a climate of care, support, and
belonging for all employees.
- Directs the development of training programs and administers
policies relative to fostering a respectful and supportive
- Create an environment where providing constructive feedback is
understood, embraced, and desired.
- Identifies and implements HR process improvements and
strategies to attract and retain employees.
- Oversees the process and administration of an employee's life
cycle at Bishop O'Dowd High School from hiring through
- Serve as a resource and counsel to administrators in employee
counseling and disciplinary procedures; monitor and approve
involuntary terminations; minimizing exposure to potential adverse
- Plans and coordinates the annual performance and compensation
review process for all employee positions. This includes
participating in relevant salary surveys and benchmarking studies
- Create structures to support comprehensive performance
evaluations across all job functions (administrators, faculty,
counselors, development, admissions, staff, coaches), including
goal setting and assessments.
- Oversee and participate in the onboarding and exit process for
all new and existing employees.Other Responsibilities
- Oversees the Human Resources record keeping systems and
- Facilitates the organization's Accident Prevention Program in
collaboration with the Director of Logistics.
- Responsible for the management and administration of COVID
- Abides by all school policies and regulations.
- Completes other duties and/or projects as may be assigned.
- Maintains confidential personnel records in accordance with
best practice, including compensation agreements, benefit plans
enrollments and COBRA implementation, I-9's, professional
development documentation, etc.Minimum Qualifications/Skills:
- Management Experience in Human Resources.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university.
- Knowledge of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the Family and
Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA), and
the Paid Family Leave (PFL).
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of employment
- Demonstrated awareness, experience, and competence in working
with colleagues of different backgrounds, races, genders, and
- Excellent listening and communication skills, including the
ability to discern information and operate with objectivity,
discretion, and confidentiality.
- The ability to de-escalate circumstances when needed.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to administer benefit
- Strong working knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office
applications, Google Suites, and all other applicable software
programs (e.g., ADP Workforce Now, Bamboo HR).
- Self-directed with a proven ability to assume responsibility,
work independently, creatively solve problems, and move
work/projects to completion with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize and complete tasks/assignments/projects
within established time frames, including the ability to stay
focused and manage multiple projects/activities
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Society for Human Resources Management Certified Professional
(SHRM) Certification.Physical Requirements:
- Ability to use a keyboard (or an alternative input device) and
other office equipment.
- Ability to read information in printed material, on a computer
screen, and/or on a mobile device/laptop for extended periods of
time.Applications will be reviewed on a rolling
basis.Pre-employment background screening is required for all
positions.Bishop O'Dowd High School is an equal opportunity
employer and does not discriminate in its employment policies and
procedures. It follows the Diocese of Oakland's policies
prohibiting illegal harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
However, as a Roman Catholic high school with a stated mission,
goals and objectives that clearly reflect the teachings and
educational philosophy of the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop O'Dowd
High School reserves the right to require all current and
prospective employees to commit to carry out their duties and
responsibilities in a manner that clearly and unconditionally
demonstrates support of and respect for the school's mission and
Catholic identity. Persons who in good conscience are unable to
agree to this commitment should not seek or accept employment at
Bishop O'Dowd High School.As a faith-based institution, we reserve
the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as
permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job
Keywords: Bishop O'Dowd High School, Oakland , Human Resources Director, Human Resources , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!