SAS Programmer - Workforce and Human Services Division
Company: Social Policy Research Associates
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Social Policy Research Associates (SPR) is seeking a SAS
Programmer for full-time employment in our Workforce and Human
Services Division. We are a growing and dynamic research,
evaluation, and technical assistance firm located in Oakland, CA.
Currently, we are seeking applications for a qualified, full-time
entry- to mid-level researcher to join our team and collectively
help carry out evaluations of programs focused on improving
employment stability and economic self-sufficiency for low-income
The Company: At SPR, we believe in providing rigorous, high quality
research, evaluation, training and technical assistance to improve
the well-being of diverse groups of individuals, families,
organizations, and communities. SPRs work spans multiple areas of
social policy, often focusing on supporting our clients with
workforce development, employment training, education,
philanthropy, youth development, health, and other human service
issues. Over the past 25 years, SPR has earned national recognition
for our work in evaluating the role of philanthropic and
public-sector investments in policies and programs designed to
improve outcomes for diverse populations across the country. Our
clients consistently share an appreciation of the analytic lens and
technical rigor that we bring to our work, and our ability to
engage real-time data to inform continuous learning and iterative
strategy improvements. For more information about SPR, please visit
our website at .
What We Are Looking For: An Equal Opportunity Employer and federal
contractor, SPR is an organization that values a staff with diverse
perspectives and backgrounds. All applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability and veteran status
All candidates must meet all the following requirements to be
considered for this position:
- Graduate degree in computer science, data science, mathematics,
statistics, or social sciences; or bachelor's degree in computer
science, data science, mathematics, statistics, or social sciences
and 2+ years of work experience.
- Experience in programming and managing data sets in SAS.
- Demonstrated strength in successfully developing and managing
large datasets created from multiple sources.
- Demonstrated interests in issue areas relevant to SPR project
- Strong analytic skills and ability to write in clear, accurate,
and wellorganized manner for nontechnical audiences.
- Ability to work professionally and productively within a team
context, including excellent interpersonal and communication
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines and
complete assigned tasks.
- Self-motivated, organized, and detail-oriented work style, as
well as ability to multi-task across multiple projects.
- Familiarity with data visualization software such as R Shiny
and Tableau highly desirable.
- Familiarity with GitHub and additional quality assurance
practices is a plus.
- Experience with R or Stata is a plus.
- Experience working with PII data is a plus.
- Experience working with geospatial data is a plus.
The Position: The SAS Programmer at SPR has key responsibilities
for working within multiple project teams to implement research and
evaluation studies. Specific duties will vary by previous
experience and research skills, but may include a mix of the
- Developing and managing data files in various formats and
developing public use datasets with associated documentation.
- Creating analytic files per project team requests.
- Developing reproducible programs for data management
- Developing skills in programming languages deemed necessary for
project data development across SPR projects.
- Following SPRs data security protocols, procedures, and Quality
Assurance requirements within project tasks.
- Maintaining version control programs within SPRs team of
research programmers across divisions.
- Helping prepare portions of reports and proposals, including
both writing and data displays.
- Production of tables or preparation of material to support
- Assisting in the collection of quantitative data through data
downloads, data keying, and data security protocol.
- Assisting in the administration of paper/online surveys through
survey set-up in Alchemer and assistance with survey tracking.
The Location: SPR is a place-based organization in downtown Oakland
that also offers employees flexibility to work from home. We are
conveniently located right on top of the City Center BART station
in downtown Oakland. The building plaza has great food options for
lunch, and we are just a few blocks away from Chinatown
restaurants. Our location in Oakland also allows us to be in close
contact with many of the communities we support through our work.
Please note that SPR is following all current, applicable state and
county health and operating orders, and this position may not have
immediate access to the physical SPR office. Once we resume regular
operations, SPR will continue to flexibly offer hybrid
at-home/in-office schedules for staff.
Other Information: In this role, you can expect to work in an
office environment; occasional lifting up to 40 lbs; frequent
telephone usage; extensive computer use; use of office machines;
heavy keyboarding. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SPR offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision,
and 401k plan.
How to Apply: This search is being managed by our Executive Search
Partner, Insight Executive Search. For more information or to apply
for the position, please contact:
Aaron Schmidt, President at
This job will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: Social Policy Research Associates, Oakland , SAS Programmer - Workforce and Human Services Division, IT / Software / Systems , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!