Posted on: May 13, 2022
Everlaw is looking for a Software Engineer, full-stack
generalist. Tackling litigation with technology is a surprisingly
deep challenge, and it requires data visualization, search,
distributed systems, databases, real-time collaboration, nifty user
interfaces, and more. We value great CS fundamentals, native
ability, and humility over experience with any particular platform,
technology, or specialization. If you happen to have a speciality,
we will put that to use-but we won't restrict you to that area. We
care a lot about finding the best engineers, writing correct
software, using the right tools for the job, and avoiding dogma. As
a result, we've been able to build quite a bit of sophisticated
technology with a small, talented team. It's the kind of culture
where you'll own serious features, write great code, learn a huge
amount, and have a lot of fun. There are no sprints and no
deadlines (!); code quality and maintainability is paramount.
Engineering is the backbone of the Everlaw Platform. We build
features and functionality into the product and ensure its smooth
functioning. We also provide data and insights to the rest of
Everlaw. At our core, we like to build and enjoy the creative
process of building software that is smart, that works well, that
scales well, and that is reliable and secure. We do this by
supporting and empowering our team members to do their best work,
by tackling challenging and complex engineering problems and by
nurturing and supporting each team member through mentoring,
coaching, and comprehensive feedback. - At Everlaw, our mission is
to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company culture is
open and vibrant and we're committed to the professional growth of
our team members, offering an annual learning and development
stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding career goals.
If you're looking for a place that values passion, integrity,
thinking big, and a desire to learn, we'd love to hear from you!
Think you're missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply?
We do not believe in the 'perfect' candidate and encourage you to
apply if you feel you can bring value to our team. -Learn more
about Life at Everlaw. This is a full-time exempt position based in
our Oakland, California office with a hybrid work schedule: in
office M/W/Th with the option to work from home Tu/Fr. Getting
- We want you to feel like part of the team early on! Our
onboarding process will integrate you into the company with
informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team
structure and goals.
- We're excited for you to learn, grow, and contribute right
away! We trust that you'll bring experience and knowledge that will
uplift and uplevel the team, but we don't expect you to know
everything on Day 1. In your role, you'll---
- Become product certified! You will learn the ins and outs of
the Everlaw platform through a series of training modules.
- Familiarize yourself with our technologies, workflows, and
codebase through extensive training and product certification.
- Collaborate with the Engineering Operations, Product, and
Design teams to build out and implement new features that are used
in our production environments.
- Build features that represent the core of our ediscovery
platform , such as the Document Upload function, Redactions, and
Metadata search functions.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement . We are
constantly pushing to understand root causes and analyze
discrepancies to learn from them and make adjustments.
- Develop the core components of our online platform one feature
at a time.
- Choose what features you work on ; owning them from inception
to release as the sole contributor.
- Perform a live release to our production environments.
- Learn how to diagnose and resolve site issues and facilitate
communication between Engineering and the rest of the company.
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science , or equivalent
- You have experience coding in a compiled language , such as
Java, C, or C++.
- You have good knowledge of algorithms and fundamental computer
- You have an eye for aesthetics and user experience.
- You are eager to learn new technologies. Pluses
- You have scripting language experience in Python, Perl,
- You are familiar with UNIX .
- You have excellent writing and communication skills. Benefits
- Competitive salary -
- Substantial equity -
- Retirement plan with company matching -
- Health, dental, and vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care
- Paid parental leave and sick leave
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus 11 federal holidays -
- Membership to -Modern Health to help employees prioritize
mental health and wellness
- Quarterly "flex fund to flourish" bonus to spend on any health,
wellness, or well-being expenses -
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and
applicable professional membership dues
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance Perks
- Work in Uptown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and
dozens of restaurants and walking distance to Lake Merritt
- Flexible work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Monthly home internet reimbursement
- Select your preference of hardware (Mac or PC) and customize
your desk setup
- Enjoy a wide variety of snacks and beverages in the Oakland
- Bond over company-wide out-of-the-box events and fun activities
with your team
- Time off for company-sponsored volunteer events and 4 paid
hours per quarter to volunteer at a charitable organization of your
- Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
- One of Wealthfront's 2021 Career Launching Companies, one of
"Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces", and one of 2020's Best and
Brightest Companies to Work for in the Bay Area
- One of Fast Company's World's Most Innovative Companies for
2022 and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit
the greater good through "Everlaw for Good"
- #LI-Hybrid Pursue Truth While Finding Yours At Everlaw, we are
deeply invested in pursuing the truth, for our clients and for our
employees. We know that when you're empowered to pursue your
passions, it is reflected in the work. That's why we're committed
to the professional growth of all our team members, offering an
annual learning and development stipend and regular career
check-ins with managers. If you're looking for a place that values
passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we'd love to hear from
you! - -------About Everlaw We help law firms, government agencies,
and corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in
big lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun
(or needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a
multi-billion dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented
vendors, and we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and
elegant design. It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly:
we host hundreds of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state
Attorneys General and hundreds of law firms on some of the most
high-profile cases litigated today. - - Everlaw is an equal
opportunity employer. We pride ourselves on having a diverse
workforce and we do not discriminate against any employee or
applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin,
disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital
status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis
protected by law. We respect the gender, gender identity and gender
expression of our applicants and employees, and we honor requests
for pronouns. It is our policy to comply with all applicable
national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and
equal opportunity, including the California Equal Pay Act. Pursuant
to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for
employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Everlaw requires all of its employees to be fully vaccinated for
COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption applies. If you
are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the
COVID-19 vaccine, unless you have received a medical or religious
Keywords: Everlaw, Oakland , Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!