Director of Engineering, Mobile/Web
Posted on: September 15, 2018
About Comfy Comfy is on a mission to create amazing workplace experiences. We are a leading workplace app provider that connects people, places and systems. We started by solving the number one complaint in the office (temperature!), and continue to expand to our product suite to give employees greater control over their workplace, including room booking, lighting and feedback. We create amazing workplace experiences through a consumer-facing app for employees and solve real business problems for corporate real estate teams. Headquartered in Oakland, California, with expertise in machine learning, UX design and enterprise service, Comfy develops software solutions for everyone from the people who operate the building to the people who fill it.About the Role Comfy is looking for an experienced Director of Engineering to lead the next generation of our Comfy app. Having successfully deployed the first generation of our app--which provided end users with an intuitive way to control the temperature within their building--we are now well into the second generation of our app, which extends into a range of IT, OT, and IoT use cases (including room booking, access control, wayfinding, and visitor management), and are beginning to imagine what the third generation of our application (including voice, interactive chatbots, and augmented reality) should look like. Towards that end, we are looking for a visionary leader who wants to be on the cutting edge of future technologies, while having strong operational chops in tactically leading an engineering team to deliver a high quality product in the near-term. In this role, you will oversee our front-end, back-end, and QA teams; and serve as a key leader of our product organization, working closely alongside our UX / Design and Product Management teams to influence our forward-looking roadmap and priorities. You'll have the opportunity to not only build a best-in-class app, but also work with our customer success and platform teams to figure out the best way to deploy our app at scale. And lastly, you'll be responsible for hiring, mentoring, and growing our team: we aspire for a "culture of excellence" at Comfy, and you're going to be critical in shaping the culture of our growing engineering team.About You
- While you're a seasoned manager, you can still jump in to do a code review or do some pair-programming whenever needed. In fact, you eagerly seek out those opportunities.
- You are not only comfortable working in an agile environment, but obsessed with how you can make it better. You care about performance, reliability and safety; and always consider tradeoffs when engineering a feature, especially with regards to scalability.
- You have strong executive presence and love to work cross-functionally. You are adept at managing diverse stakeholders, and are able to effectively balance competing priorities.
- You can inspire an organization full of smart engineers. You see things from a different angle; you have ideas we've never thought of; and your empathy, curiosity or sensitivity is infectious. Your Skills and Experience
- You have 5+ years of experience managing an engineering team; ideally, you have 2+ years of experience with managing multiple layers (i.e., you have managed engineering managers as well). Experience managing offshore teams is a plus.
- You have a working knowledge of vue / AngularJS / Django / Cordova, but are also able to learn new concepts, technologies and programming paradigms quickly.
- You are comfortable with Jira, Git, Confluence, and all that jazz.
- You have tinkered around with emerging UI paradigms including voice and dialogue. Our Benefits Include
- Diverse, quirky, passionate and supportive team of coworkers
- Brand new, bright, airy office in sunny downtown Oakland close to BART
- Take-what-you-need vacation policy
- Competitive compensation
- Full medical, dental and vision insurance
- Monthly wellness subsidy Our Promise to You We believe your work is an extension of yourself. At Comfy, we hire many sorts of selves and that's what makes us exceptional. We value diversity of thought, always asking tough questions, committing to solutionsand we do that best when we have and nurture every point of view. We value you, and we want to hear you, learn from you, and move forward together.
Keywords: Comfy, Oakland , Director of Engineering, Mobile/Web, IT / Software / Systems , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!