Important Update: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kaiser
Permanente is moving to a virtual recruitment process including
telephone and video interviews to help ensure the health and safety
of our employees, candidates, and communities. Also, some hiring
activities may be delayed or suspended in certain geographic areas
and job categories. For more information on Kaiser Permanente’s
response to COVID-19, visit our Resource Center .
From acquisition of products and services, real estate
transactions, and new ventures to union grievances, provider
operations, and liability claims, this group encompasses all of
Kaiser Permanente's legal and government counseling and provides
cost-effective legal support across all functions.
Vice President , Assistant General Counsel - Health Plan Payor
Operations Location: Oakland, CA Job Number: 887996 Date posted:
06.25.2020 Submit Interest Description: The Health Plan & Payor
Operations Practice Group Manager (PGM) is responsible for leading
the Health Plan & Payor Operations Practice Group of the Legal
Department. The Health Plan & Payor Operations Practice Group is
composed of health law lawyers whose primary accountability is to
provide legal services supporting Kaiser Permanente operations as
HMO, indemnity insurer, and administrative services organization in
its non-governmental lines of business. This practice includes
regulatory, compliance and business development dimensions. The PGM
is also a member of the Legal Department's leadership team.
- Collaborate effectively with the General Counsel, Deputy
General Counsel, other PGMs, and Regional Counsels to provide
collective leadership of the Legal Department.
- Ensure horizontal and vertical communication and collaboration
within the Department necessary to provide high quality, integrated
legal services that protect Kaiser Permanente, meet Kaiser
Permanente's business objectives and achieve high levels of
- Promote proper organizational governance and management
accountability by ensuring that senior leadership is well informed
and escalating legal and risk management issues to the appropriate
levels in Kaiser Permanente.
- Define Legal Department goals and priorities that are aligned
with Kaiser Permanente goals and priorities.
- Establish and maintain effective customer and
- Ensure the sufficiency, alignment, and efficient allocation of
- Collectively manage the Legal Department's performance against
metrics that the leadership may develop over time.
- Promote continuous quality improvement, leadership
development, professional development, and succession planning.
- Promote a culture of excellence, accountability, learning, and
- Handle the Legal Department's administrative, financial, and
governance functions, including but not limited to budgets,
reserves, approvals, reporting, recruiting, etc.
- Manage the work of the Health Plan & Payor Operations Practice
- Cultivate highest and best use of legal professionals in
accordance with Department model, which achieves high quality
advice and service with lower cost by utilizing high-performing
attorneys, and includes developing strategic role of lawyers.
- Promote the development, sharing, and replication of best
practices for collaboration.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with customers, including
agreements for the most efficient and valuable use of legal
- Enhance motivation of legal professionals through maximization
of skills, providing opportunities for recognition and
participation in developing Department.
- Manage individual performance including performance appraisals
and other human resources issues.
- Develop and deploy subject matter expertise relevant to the
- Promote optimal use of information systems, technology, and
- Promote systems and methods to capture, share, and leverage
- Balance leadership and management responsibilities with the
active legal practice of a highly effective senior lawyer. Basic
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney,
primarily in health law.
- Bar membership required in the state where the attorney is
- Recognized (externally and/or internally) as an expert in one
or more specialties within the health law area. Excellent legal
- Demonstrated excellent performance as a practicing
- Experience handling complicated legal issues with serious
risks and with successful outcomes.
- Experience in managing team-based projects, with documented
(e.g., reviews) leadership success (i.e., providing clarity of
direction, aligning organizational processes toward goals, and
establishing commitment and partnership).
- Demonstrated qualities consistent with the Department's
preferred operating style, i.e., mutual respect, fairness, honesty,
ethical behavior, independent, creative thinking while operating as
a team member.
- Consistent high ratings from customers, peers, and
- Excellent interpersonal skills with customers, colleagues, and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates high emotional intelligence and the ability to
generate enthusiasm and commitment among colleagues. Primary
Location: California,Oakland,Ordway One Kaiser Plaza Scheduled
Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon - Fri Working Hours
Start: 8:00 AM Working Hours End: 5:00 PM Job Schedule: Full-time
Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular Employee Group/Union
Affiliation: Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt Job Level: Executive/VP
Job Category: Legal / Government Relations Department:
0308-30000-7613 Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is
an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive
workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental
status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status,
genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of
diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be
considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and
state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but
not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance
Connect with a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an
upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to seeing
Please fill out the fields below and click "Join Now" to receive
information about opportunities that relate to your selections.
Enter First Name
Enter Last Name
Search for a category and select one from the list of
suggestions. Search for a location and select one from the list of
suggestions. Finally, click “Add” to create your job alert.
Select Job Location*