At Coffman Engineers, we serve as both prime consultant and sub
consultant on projects large and small, including commercial,
retail, institutional, government, industrial, and
project/construction management. Incorporated in 1979, we have
employees in more than 16 locations serving clients across the
United States and overseas.
To meet client objectives and to integrate our many disciplines, we
can create teams comprised of civil, structural, mechanical,
electrical, fire protection, and corrosion control, as well as
project/construction managers and professionals in a variety of
specialty services. This ability has made us a leader in the
engineering and construction communities, and has strengthened our
reputation as being progressive, innovative, and a great place to
You would support our Fire Protection Engineering Department in
providing our clients with automatic suppression system design;
fire detection, alarm and mass notification system design; code
analysis; egress analysis; fire resistant construction analysis;
smoke control analysis; as well as general fire protection and life
safety concepts and research.
- Computer skills necessary for daily activities, including
email, word processing, spreadsheets, simple graphics, fire dynamic
simulation, and a working knowledge of computer aided
- Managing day-to-day contacts with internal and external clients
while utilizing experience and technology to meet
- Performing research and documenting for internal and external
- Analysis of existing fire protection systems; design new fire
protection systems including suppression systems, fire detection,
fire alarm and mass notification systems.
- Building and fire code analysis and interpretation
- Project management skills for managing internal projects as
well as external client needs.
- Bachelors degree (B.S.) in engineering from accredited college
- Fire Protection specific degree desired
- From 0 to 3 years of professional experience.
- Must have passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
Individuals who are in the process of taking the exam within the
next six months may be considered
- Experience with the current version of AutoCAD and Revit
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
During the current shelter-in-place order in the Bay Area,
Coffman is in compliance with the requirements of State and Local
mandates. As circumstances evolve we will update our policies to
reflect any changed circumstances. While the specific conditions
that may prevail during the period are not fully known we
anticipate one or all of the following to apply:
- Shelter-in-place order continues. Work will be coordinated with
Manager and other team members via video conferencing. Delegated
tasks, review of progress and exchange of
documentation/deliverables to be performed remotely between team
members as well as via interface with company servers.
- Shelter-in-place order relaxed with social distancing measures
required at the office location. Measures will be put in place to
encourage social distancing between employees and with visitors to
the office. During this period, mass transit options may be more
limited than normal service and will require additional time
management for efficient commuting.
The ability of the applicant to comply with these methods of
working are a requirement of the position. We take seriously the
health and welfare of all our employees and expect mindful
cooperation with current social norms, including the above work
This position is not eligible for sponsorship.
No paid interview travel or relocation expenses are offered for
Why You Want To Work Here
You could choose to work anywhere, so why work at Coffman
Engineers? Because we are different our culture sets us apart.
Simply stated, we are a group of creative, high-performing people
who like working together and believe that what we do makes a
difference. Employees say that it feels like working with a group
of friends in a small office while enjoying the benefits and perks
of working for a large firm. Our culture isnt the only thing that
makes us different, but it drives everything we do.
Coffman offers comprehensive benefits, including a flexible PTO
program and a fun office environment. Our Bay Area office is
conveniently located near Lake Merritt and 20th Street, just three
blocks from BART. Whether it is delivering the best possible
service to our clients, or competing in an office-wide curling
competition, we welcome the dedicated and the driven. Join us.
Dont take our word for it. Check out what others are saying:
- 42 years in business
- 550+ employees serving clients throughout the U.S. and overseas
from more than 16 locations
- Multi-discipline engineering services plus corrosion control,
commissioning and project/construction management
- 70+ employees in 9 offices, providing Fire Protection services
- #27 Top 80 Engineering Firms, Building Design+Construction,
- #42 Zweig Group Hot Firm List, Zweig Group, 2020
- #164 Top 500 Design Firms, Engineering News-Record, 2020
You must apply online for this position. If you are unable to
complete our online application process, or if you need assistance
to do so, let us know so we can provide a reasonable
If you are experiencing problems applying through our system,
please try again using a different browser or an updated version of
your current browser. If that doesn't work, please contact us
This position is direct with Coffman Engineers; we are an Equal
Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of
Coffman Engineers will consider qualified applicants with a