Temporary Medical Assistant, Lead
Company: La Clinica de la Raza
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Who we are: La Clnica de La Raza is a community-based health
center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality,
and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San
Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and
creating a health home for the many that have been denied access to
care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to making sure
individuals who do not have health coverage get the same level of
quality healthcare as those who have it. From our genesis as a
community health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal
our communities without also addressing the economic and social
factors that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go
outside and provide services in other settings to build the bridge
that links individuals to our health center for preventive and
primary care. Over 90,000 individuals come to La Clnica because it
is a welcoming place that addresses the whole person, coordinating
and connecting them to a broad network of services to improve and
maintain their health and well-being. While we are still known for
our activism and spirit of social justice, we are also proud to
have grown into a sophisticated provider of primary health care
services with 35 sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano
Be part of an excellent care team: We are looking for Medical
Assistants who are inspired to deliver a great experience to our
patients and who want to play an important role in patient-centered
care by performing at the top of their scope of practice. At La
Clnica, you will be challenged to be exceptionally accurate,
observant and an efficient task-master while at the same time
providing a human touch and an excellent overall patient
experience. Many people excel at one of these areas, but it takes
someone with a special combination of skills and character to do
both. To be successful, you need to enjoy interacting with all
kinds of different people, to feel energized by a fast paced clinic
environment, and remain cool under pressure even when serving a
person who is upset, disrespectful or impatient. You should have a
successful history of being responsible, reliable and capable of
solving problems while being friendly and helpful in looking for
ways to support other care team members.
Position Summary: The Lead Medical Assistant (LMA) is required
to perform all duties of the Medical Assistant and functions as the
resource person to the non-licensed staff. The LMA helps ensure
efficient patient flow and quality care during clinic hours by
providing guidance and directing the work of non-licensed staff
within the unit. The LMA works as part of a health care team
including physicians, NP/PAs, patient services representatives,
medical records, medical assistants, health educators and social
workers to provide comprehensive care.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited
- In conjunction with section Manager the individual is
responsible for the overall coordination of the medical assistant
activities in the section. The lead medical assistant; assists,
advises and orients medical assistants with the overall objective
of ensuring a smooth clinic flow and completion of follow-up
- Lends a hand in the day-to-day M.A. functions as necessary,
directing patient flow of regular appointments and drop-in patients
from triage in order to meet section goals, setting an example, and
facilitating the work day.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; serves as
a key resource for the section in the development and maintenance
of a team approach to the provision of patient care services and
- Assess staffing needs, maintains medical assistants schedule on
a weekly basis, participates in the hiring of new staff and
provides orientation to new employees.
- Assures that M.A. staff is appropriately oriented to clinic
procedures. This includes revising and updating medical assistant
handbook, ensuring rooms are properly stocked, teaching M.A.s how
to anticipate medical provider needs and keeping them on schedule,
scheduling in-services, encouraging outside training and assuring
that all M.A.s become state certified
- Other duties as assigned by the section Manager and the
Associate Medical Director
Commitment to Quality
- Works on quality improvement projects related to the section,
participate in medical department meetings, and works with other
administrators as required.
- Takes the lead in handling patient complaints regarding medical
- Responsible for pro-active trouble shooting in the section;
printing and reviewing provider schedules, make corrections when
necessary, overseeing appointments, rescheduling when providers
call in sick, assist MAs, medical records and the front desk areas
- Prepare treatment rooms and set up medical laboratory
- Verify purpose of visit with the patient and record medical
history in the Electronic Health Record system (EHR).
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding patient
- Administer health questionnaires.
- Prepare patients for examination by performing preliminary
physical tests and taking vital signs.
- Effectively communicate request from patients to provider or
care team members.
- Perform routine medical tasks and procedures, including vision
tests, urine dipstick tests, pregnancy tests, basic hearing tests,
blood glucose testing, site of care hemoglobin A1C testing, sputum
collections, oral HIV tests, and non-invasive specimen
- Collect finger stick blood specimens and assist in the
collection of tissue or other laboratory specimens: log the
specimens and prepare them for testing.
- Conduct specialized procedures under the direction of a
clinician such as nebulizer treatments, spirometry, suture removal
- Coordinate patient flow to maximize patient access and
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated
- Explain and/or translate treatment procedures, medications,
diets, or providers instructions to patients.
- Schedule follow-up appointment or recall appointment after
- Help providers examine and treat patients.
- Prepare and administer medications and injections as directed
by a provider.
- Provide prescription information to pharmacies, as directed by
- Actively participate in panel management and population health
practices and software tools.
- Complete and review information at end of patient visit.
- Administer immunizations, document in EHR, and other electronic
- Ensure that all logs, forms, records, and charts are complete,
thorough, and accurate.
- Provide patient education and follow-up care instructions as
instructed by provider.
Minimum Job Requirements
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- MA-I: One year of hospital/clinic/medical office experience
preferred. MA-II: American Association of Medical Assistants
(AAMA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), California Certifying
Board of Medical Assistants (CCMA) or the Nationally Registered
Certified Medical Assistant (NRCMA).
- CPR certification within 6 months of hire.
- Phlebotomy Certification (as required by the clinic).
- Health clearances and immunization records required of all
- Bilingual English/Spanish (or other languages) as required to
meet the needs of the patient population.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology and working knowledge of
general outpatient care and clinic flow.
- Ability to work independently and in a team approach exercising
independent judgment in evaluating situations, rendering decisions
and leading teams. Ability to identify and resolve problems in a
timely manner gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding patient
- Able to have flexible schedule to participate in Saturday
clinic rotation as well as the evening clinic as needed.
- Ability to manage competing demands, able to deal with frequent
changes, delays or unexpected events and ensuring work
responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Ability to exhibit objectivity and openness to other views,
gives and welcomes feedback and contribute to building a positive
team spirit in order to function effectively in a position that
involves continuous movement.
- Ability to communicate well and interact with staff and clients
in professional and productive ways
Keywords: La Clinica de la Raza, Oakland , Temporary Medical Assistant, Lead, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!