Open Rank Annual Faculty-Pediatrics (Oakland Campus)
Company: Sutter Health
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Who we are: Samuel Merritt University graduates improve health
outcomes and reduce disparities for all members of our communities.
We have spent more than a century preparing outstanding healthcare
professionals through immersive learning and community engagement,
and are deeply committed to transforming healthcare through
diversity and inclusion. At the School of Nursing, we are at the
forefront of educational innovation in theory and practice to
prepare highly competent professional nursing leaders who are
engaged in the advancement of nursing practice and the improvement
of health for diverse populations/peoples. Our motto is education
plus compassion which we proudly demonstrate in the ways that we
serve our students, faculty, staff, and in our local
Join a team of dedicated educators: Our faculty are known for
their passion for growing the nursing profession. With this
passion, we strive to awaken curiosity in our students and instill
lifelong learning. Congruent with our values, we work hard to
inspire service and leadership in our students. For this reason,
the role of faculty is vitally important because of its unmatched
position to shape the professional and personal development of
graduates. This positon is in the School of Nursing (SoN) and
reports directly to the Program Chair. The position combines
teaching, scholarship and service. We define teaching as creating
environments that facilitate student learning and the attainment of
expected outcomes at the course and program levels. Faculty has
ownership for the development, implementation, evaluation and
revision of the curricula within the School of Nursing which are
designed to prepare graduates to provide nursing care in a dynamic
health care environment. Service implies the use of academic and
professional expertise to serve the University, the nursing
profession and the community. Service consists of meaningful
activities that promote the image, mission or strategic priorities
of the University, the well-being of relevant individuals or groups
among the community of interest or the professional growth of
faculty. Scholarship reflects activities resulting in the
production, reorganization/refinement, dissemination or creation of
works that advance knowledge in nursing.
Position Summary: This is an annual, open rank position teaching
pediatrics in our BSN program located on our Oakland campus. In
addition to teaching, you will be expected to engage in service.
This position is open until filled. The position reports to the
Major Areas of responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Creates a dynamic, learner-centered environment that uses a
variety of teaching methods based on educational theory and
evidence-based teaching and clinical practices that support the
diverse learning needs of the student population.
- Models reflective and critical thinking and serves as a coach
and mentor for students; confers with them on their progress and
assists them in the development of learning plans to facilitate
successful achievement of course objectives.
- Maintains and enhances competence in subjects being
- Confers with colleagues to assure the integrity of the courses
across programs and the curriculum as a whole;
- Prepares and reviews written examinations, papers, and student
projects; supervises independent study projects as needed, and
evaluates learner performance in both the classroom and clinical
- Notifies Course Manager of at-risk students or unusual
- Supervises or teaches clinical rotations as needed in acute,
community and laboratory settings as well as
- Documents student progress on appropriate forms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in Faculty Organization meetings
- Participate in School of Nursing Faculty meetings
- Participate in University or School committees as needed
- Provide service to the profession and the community
- Participate in University and SoN events as specified in
University and SON attendance expectations.
- Clarify with the student the nursing curriculum and
interpretation of programmatic requirements
- Provide needed information so students can make the best
academic decisions for themselves
- Increase student awareness of educational resources
- Discuss student academic progress and progression toward
- Refer to other institutional and community support services,
- Forward appropriate student information regarding needs and
preferences that could influence policy setting in the SON and
enhance the learning environment.
- (NOTE: Total workload for a regular, 12-month annual faculty
appointment is 1872 hours - 1722 teaching and 150 service
Education & Experience
- Earned masters in nursing required, doctorate in nursing or a
related field from an accredited institution of higher learning,
- Teaching experience of diverse students at the baccalaureate or
higher degree level, preferred
- Rank is commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Unencumbered California registered nurse license or eligible
for licensure in California
- Experience working with leadership in healthcare and academic
institutions and community organizations, preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Read and write clear documents
- Function effectively as a member of a team and
- Express or exchange ideas
- Receive detailed information through communication.
- Read and write clear documents.
- Have a strong commitment to the caring science principles and
mindfulness based stress reduction practices central to the culture
and expected outcomes of the program.
- Model appropriate ethical and professional behaviors, as well
as expert communication skills.
- Embrace mission, vision, and values of the program, school of
nursing, and university.
- Have a clear vision for aligning the safety and quality with
student learning activities
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity,
equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive
campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an
educational imperative to achieve excellence.
Keywords: Sutter Health, Oakland , Open Rank Annual Faculty-Pediatrics (Oakland Campus), Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!