Company: Citizen Schools
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Citizen Schools seeks talented, enthusiastic, and diverse
educators to serve as a part-time Teaching Associates (TA) in
Oakland for the 2020 academic year - the position is for immediate
start this school year. The position is currently remote,
facilitating classroom support over Zoom, but an ideal candidate
has the flexibility to join in person if the school regulations
Lead and support a classroom of 15-20 students hands-on
throughout the extended day program; running structured homework
sessions and facilitating apprenticeships. Provide operational
support and one on one behavior management.
TAs work approximately 20-25 hours per week. This schedule
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: Remote teaching (via Zoom)
from 9:30-2:30, with an hour break from 11:30-12:30.
Wednesday: In-person at Westlake Oakland Middle School from
- Customize and deliver hands-on, engaging curriculum in Math
and/or English Language Arts
- Partner with families, colleagues, and school staff to support
student growth and hold students to consistently high
- Create opportunities for students that strengthen the
connection between academic success, college, and career.
- Create and reinforce a culture of achievement and the idea that
hard work + opportunity = success
- Build and leverage relationships with students, families,
volunteers, peers, and the school community
- Plan and manage logistics for events both on- and
- Support day to day campus operations
- Provide one on one behavior intervention and support
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Citizen Schools'
- Academic skills - proficiency in middle school math and
- Coaching skills and ability to provide and receive constructive
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of
- Experience working with youth, middle school youth ideal
- Ability to build relationships and influence students,
colleagues, and community members
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong detail orientation, time management, and organization
- Spanish skills a plus
- Organization: Uses a consistent practice to manage materials,
information, and commitments in order to successfully meet
expectations in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent Communicator: Demonstrates active, intentional, and
ongoing engagement with a diverse range of individuals and groups.
Routinely makes room for multiple perspectives.
- Achievement: Goal-oriented mindset takes personal ownership for
results and has a track record of overcoming barriers to achieve
- Commitment to Service: Mobilizer who believes education is a
vital project that requires community-wide support.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
The hourly rate starts at $17.25, and TAs receive training and
will have opportunities for professional development and
ABOUT CITIZEN SCHOOLS
Citizen Schools works collaboratively with schools by connecting
them with a second shift of educators: AmeriCorps service members,
part-time Teaching Associates, and over 5,000 volunteer Citizen
Teachers from community organizations, local businesses as well as
major corporations like Google and Cognizant. Students benefit from
mentorship and hands-on learning experiences that spark curiosity
and illuminate the world of opportunity available through
education. You can learn more about our results by clicking here
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual
orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry,
political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or
mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant
with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to
making special accommodations for your interview or work as a
member of our team.
Keywords: Citizen Schools, Oakland , Teaching Associate, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!