Upward Bound Tutor
Company: Central Carolina Community College
Posted on: June 6, 2021
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative
lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find
ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students
a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to
recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with
empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
Tutors with the TRiO Upward Bound programs will be responsible
for coordinating an afterschool tutoring lab and providing
twice-weekly individual and group tutoring sessions for high school
students in the target school districts with the goal of increasing
students' grades in core classes.
Locations include: Harnett Central HS, Western Harnett HS,
Southern Lee HS, Lee County HS, Lee Main Campus
Work schedule is 2 days a week: Monday to Thursday 2:30 to 4:30
or 3 to 5.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes
the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity;
therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the
student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote
awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the
college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with
- Coordinate a twice-weekly tutoring lab at one of the Upward
Bound target high schools.
- Participate in tutor training and other sessions as required by
Upward Bound staff.
- Provide individual and group tutorial support for
- Utilize classroom Chromebooks to assist students in accessing
and utilizing tutor.com, as needed.
- Assist students with the learning of test taking strategies,
study methods, and academic skills reinforcement.
- Establish and cultivate an atmosphere conductive to learning
and retention of information.
- Utilize positive reinforcement and encourage the academic
confidence of participants.
- Inform students of tutoring session logistics.
- Coordinate all facilities reservations for weekly tutoring
- Maintain accurate student records in a timely and confidential
- Communicate student discipline issues and other areas requiring
attention to Upward Bound staff.
- Tutors are encouraged to attend other Upward Bound functions
including awards nights, Saturday Sessions, and field trips.
Additional compensation will be available for additional work with
the Upward Bound Programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required in education, teaching content area,
or related field.
- A minimum of one (1) years of related work experience;
- Experience teaching high school students;
- Experience teaching in Lee or Harnett County Schools;
- Experience working with low-income or first generation students
in an educational setting.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be
- Master's degree;
- Experience managing or operating a tutoring program;
- Experience working in a TRIO program or other similar program
for disadvantaged students;
- Personal experience overcoming academic, cultural, financial,
or other obstacles similar to those faced by low-income or
first-generation students participating in the Upward Bound
Keywords: Central Carolina Community College, Oakland , Upward Bound Tutor, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!