Employee Relations, Consultant
Company: Blue Shield of California
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The Employee Relations, Consultant will serve as a strategic
partner to the assigned business area(s), ensuring alignment of
business objectives with policies and practices that lead to
effective leadership behaviors and an excellent employee
experience. This role requires strong partnerships with HR Business
Partners, HR Center of Excellence teams, Legal, and people leaders
to formulate, recommend and execute both proactive and reactive
solutions for employee issues in a fair and empathetic way. The
Employee Relations, Consultant will maintain and promote effective
communication and positive relationships at all levels of the
organization, where they are experienced as an employee advocate
and trusted advisor for both employees and people leaders.
* Conduct workplace investigations with empathy and fairness and
provide guidance and recommendations for fair and equitable problem
resolution to leadership.
* Provide consultation to People Leaders on discipline and
* Provide consultation and support to employees who have escalated
concerns with management or practices.
* Partner with HR Business Partners and centers of excellence to
enhance management and leadership capabilities as well as use data
to identify trends and themes to recommend and implement
remediation plans, including identifying ineffective or
inconsistent management practices.
* Partner with internal and external counsel to mitigate risk and
represent Blue Shield at hearings, settlement conferences and
mediations, as needed.
* Lead and participate in project work that supports employee
* Analyze trends and metrics to develop solutions, programs and
* Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to
day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and
ensuring regulatory compliance.
* Develop and facilitate management training to enhance leadership
knowledge and capability regarding the performance management
philosophy and process.
* Maintain and promote effective communication and positive
relationships at all levels of the organization.
* In partnership with Legal and the Employee Relations team,
monitor and analyze external trends, regulatory changes, and legal
updates to guide the HR/Internal Communications organization and
business leaders and take appropriate actions to help mitigate
* Partner with business leaders and HR Business Partners to
proactively respond to shifting business needs and associated
* Support confidential COVID-19 exposure or case reporting and
contact tracing, as needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
* Minimum Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field
* PHR certification (PHR-CA or SPHR) preferred
* Minimum 5+ years related work experience in Employee/Labor
Relations and/or as an HR Generalist.
* Demonstrated experience with workplace investigations is
* Lead with empathy and act as an employee advocate
* Possess considerable knowledge of employee relations -
Specifically, the principles, practices, and procedures of Human
Resources Management as well as State, Federal and local laws.
Experience with non-exempt and call center workforce preferred.
* Have the ability to research information and analyze data to
arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations and plans of action as
well as prepare comprehensive investigative reports and represent
ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing to all
levels within the organization.
* Possess project management skills and experience and work
independently, and exercise considerable judgment and discretion in
* Demonstrate successful influencing and negotiation skills,
including the ability to gain consensus and to develop a cohesive
recommendation considering multiple perspectives as well as
establish and maintain good working relationships with HR partners
and business clients.
* About Company: At Blue Shield of California we are parents,
leader, students, visionaries, heroes, and providers. Everyday we
come together striving to fulfill our mission, to ensure all
Californians have access to high-quality health care at a
sustainably affordable price. For more than 80 years, Blue Shield
of California has been dedicated to transforming health care by
making it more accessible, cost-effective, and customer-centric. We
are a not-for-profit, independent member of the Blue Cross Blue
Shield Association with 6,800 employees, more than $20 billion in
annual revenue and 4.3 million members. The company has contributed
more than $500 million to Blue Shield of California Foundation
since 2002 to have a positive impact on California communities.
Blue Shield of California is headquartered in Oakland, California
with 18 additional locations including Sacramento, Los Angeles, and
San Diego. We're excited to share Blue Shield of California has
received awards and recognition for - LGBT diversity, quality
improvement, most influential women in corporate America, Bay
Area's top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the
world's most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California,
we're striving to make a positive change across our industry and
the communities we live in - Join us!
* Physical Requirements:
Office Environment - roles involving part to full time schedule in
Office Environment. Based in our physical offices and work from
home office/deskwork - Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of
Please click here for further physical requirement detail.
* EEO Footer: External hires must pass a background check/drug
screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction
records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent
with Federal, State and local laws, including but not limited to
the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regards to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any
other classification protected by Federal, State and local
* Requisition ID: 21001QU
* Posting Date: May 18, 2021
* Schedule: Full-time
Keywords: Blue Shield of California, Oakland , Employee Relations, Consultant, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!