Local Unit & Position Description
Do you want to be part of the world's leading energy consulting
Are you committed to address climate change and positively
impact society and the world?
Do you enjoy collaborating with colleagues and clients, and
thrive in a dynamic and respectful environment?
Would you like to influence the solar industry and have the
opportunity to grow and thrive as a thought leader?
Then an engineering position on our Solar Independent
Engineering and Technology Team to be a great fit for you!
DNV - Energy's Renewables Advisory group is seeking a PV Module
Engineer to join our Solar Independent Engineering and Technology
team. DNV is the world's leading renewable energy consultant, and
our team members are respected as experts and thought leaders in
the industry. DNV GL's Solar IE and Technology team holds a
substantial market position in North America as a leading provider
of independent engineering services to support the financing and
construction of solar energy projects. In this role, our team
provides technical consulting and due diligence on behalf of
project developers, financial institutions, and investors who rely
on our reports in making investment and risk assessment decisions.
This solar technology team also takes a leading role in conference
participation, participation in codes/standards committees, and in
establishing internal and industry guidance on assessing technology
risk for our teams in North America and globally. Renewables
Advisory is a high-performing, innovative team that strives for
equity, respect, and diversity.As a member of the Solar Technology
team, the successful candidate will be a thought leader at DNV in
the field of photovoltaic (PV) module technology, testing and
operations, and will provide technical advisory and other
consulting services associated with PV modules used in solar
projects. The work will include technical due diligence of solar PV
modules for use in pre-construction, construction and operational
projects on behalf of lenders and investors. This position will
also provide technical support and advisory services to project
developers and product manufacturers, including bankability
studies, failure analyses, and support for RFPs and technical
The role will include working with product manufacturers to
opine on product design and expected reliability, and managing
relationships with applicable manufacturers and other
stakeholders.Performing technical reviews will require candidates
who can assess detailed aspects of PV module design including cell
processing methods, cell interconnection approaches, encapsulants,
and environmental protection. Candidates should possess a solid
fundamental understanding of the manufacturing processes for both
crystalline and thin-film products, and be able to model device
performance. The technical review will include evaluation with
respect to relevant codes and standards, so the candidate should be
familiar with UL 1703, IEC/UL 61730, IEC 61646, IEC 61215 and the
National Electrical Code (NEC). The successful candidate should be
familiar with the major suppliers of PV modules and with the
primary technical differences between products and market
This position will be loacted in our Oakland, CA; San Diego, CA;
Portland, OR ; Austin, TX; Medford, PA office.
Tasks May Include
- Employ excellent English-language written and verbal
communications skills to provide technical advice to customers
including commenting on design, reliability, manufacture,
installation, and testing of PV modules, to include:Assessment of
manufacturing methods (e.g. thin-film deposition, laser scribing,
- Review of manufacturing facilities for compliance with
quality/safety procedures and practices
- Review manufacture and installation documentation for solar PV
- Review engineering documentation relating to:
- Cell design, processing and manufacture
- Cell interconnection
- Encapsulation, framing and front/back glass/polymer
- Performance test reports
- Product compliance testing
- Thermal (infra-red) imaging evaluation
- Electroluminescence (EL) imaging evaluation
- Accelerated testing reports
- FMEA and related reliability documentation
- Operation and maintenance documents
- Produce detailed reports which review the feasibility of the
solar PV modulesRecommendations for product improvements and/or
suggestions for how to mitigate risk
- Relating PV module characteristics to holistic project design
and energy production
- Travel to engineering/manufacturing facilities to review
product design and manufacture, and to field sites to review
installation, operation and maintenance.
- Relate the results of PV module technical reviews to broader
technical due diligence scopes by making recommendations regarding
commercial and technical risk mitigation and financial model
assumptions for investors, lenders, developers and owners in a
- Manage stakeholder relationships to develop new business
opportunities and promote complementary services from other parts
of DNV GL, including preparing scopes of work for technical
- Work as a supportive team member in a collaborative
environment, as well as on self-directed independent projects.
- Contribute to internal process development and documentation,
including innovation and digitalization efforts.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, Physics, and/or related
- Minimum of 8 years of engineering experience
- Minimum 4 years of experience in the design, testing,
reliablity ,and/or modelling of solar PV modules
- Experience with root cause analysis of PV module failures
- Experience designing or evaluating products for compliance with
UL 1703, IEC/UL 61730, IEC 61646, IEC 61215
- Must have excellent English-language written and verbal
communications skills, including ability to write clear and
detailed technical reports, presentations and emails for a
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Willingness and ability to pass a background investigation and
drug test if required
- Masters or PHD in Engineering, Physics, and/or related
- Educational focus in photovoltaic technology from an accredited
- Experience developing or implementing safety policies related
to product design and testing.
- Familiarity with simulation tools/libraries such as PVsyst,
- Familiarity with R, python or other programming languages
- Some background in uncertainty, probability and statistics
- Experience reviewing EPC and O&M contracts
- Systems-level understanding of PV project design (e.g.
experience with inverters, electrical design, trackers, etc.) and
testing (e.g. performance testing, commissioning and performance
ratios) and factors that impact safety, energy production,
reliability, and performance
- Ability to climb ladders for roof-mounted solar installations,
and carry equipment for short durations.
- Must have a current US driver's license.
- Must be able to obtain a valid passport and visas for travel to
Europe, China, Japan and Canada.
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20% of the time,
domestically and internationally
Immigration-related employment benefits, for example visa
sponsorship, are not available for this position
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment.
By joining us, you will work towards our meaningful vision: to make
a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a
congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an
exceptional benefits package.DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity
Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified
applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex,
national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For more
information about your rights under the law, see:
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.com
Company & Business Area Description
DNV is the independent expert in risk management and assurance,
with almost 12,000 employees operating in more than 100 countries.
Through our broad experience and deep expertise we advance safety
and sustainable performance, set industry benchmarks, and inspire
and invent solutions.
We provide assurance to the entire energy value chain through
our advisory, monitoring, verification, and certification services.
As the world's leading resource of independent energy experts and
technical advisors, we help industries and governments to navigate
the many complex, interrelated transitions taking place globally
and regionally, in the energy industry. We are committed to
realizing the goals of the Paris Agreement, and support all
stakeholders to transition faster to a deeply decarbonized energy
Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for
employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender,
religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background,
social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity,
marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental
to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!