Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Provides legal advice and counsel as requested to TPMG
Physicians, Executives, Managers, Administrators and other internal
constituents concerning general and specific health care, business
and corporate issues, as well as on a variety of other legal
issues. Independently handles a variety of complex legal matters.
Is able to identify, anticipate, and develop strategies to mitigate
legal risks. The preferred candidate will have California-specific
employment law experience advising a health care system or systems
(and/or clinic or medical group) as internal or external counsel,
with a significant employed and/or contracted physician component.
Experience representing medical professionals before their
licensing boards would also be desired. Proficiency in identifying
and helping to resolve a multitude of employment and human resource
issues, and a demonstrated understanding of
physician/hospital/health plan relationships, as well as proven
strong client service, project management, problem solving,
negotiation, change management, and both written and verbal
communication skills are essential.
- Develops and presents legal advice and opinions relative to
TPMG's operations and regulatory requirements.
- Provides day to day legal advice to TPMG, including operations
and physician leaders on a wide range of health care, corporate,
and other legal issues, including issues specific to physician
groups and physician practice.
- Conducts legal research, prepares legal documents and
recommends courses of action to ensure appropriate compliance with
existing laws, regulations, and accreditation standards.
- Provides advice and drafting assistance on policies and
procedures, and on proposed communications that may have legal
- Reviews and advises TPMG management on relevant new and
proposed statutes, regulations, and judicial decisions affecting
- Provides negotiation assistance, reviews, develops, drafts, and
prepares contracts with organizations with which TPMG conducts
- Monitors, manages, and reviews all work and expenditures for
outside counsel to ensure quality and efficacy of legal
- Provides/contributes to educational programs for TPMG
physicians and other employees on legal issues pertaining to TPMG
and Kaiser Permanente.
- Kaiser Permanente conducts compensation reviews of positions on
a routine basis. At any time, Kaiser Permanente reserves the right
to reevaluate and change job descriptions, or to change such
positions from salaried to hourly pay status. Such changes are
generally implemented only after notice is given to affected
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience with employment law
affecting the delivery of health care and the practice of
License, Certification, Registration
- Active member of the California State Bar, or, within 1 year of
employment become a member of the California State Bar or a
California Registered In House Counsel.
- Strong client service skills required with demonstrated
excellent client satisfaction.
- Demonstrated ability to determine key business issues and
develop appropriate action plans from multi-disciplinary
- Demonstrated ability to define the strategy of and provide
overall direction to a specified practice area.
- Excellent skills in complex analytic problem solving, project
management, change management, and group process.
- Superior communication, consulting, facilitation, negotiation,
conflict management, problem resolution, change management skills
and consensus building skills.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing priorities in managing
a wide range of projects.
- Demonstrated ability to lead professionals through influence
- Understanding of Health Care operations and KP competitors, and
economic, social, and legal environment.
- Superior leadership and project management skills. Demonstrated
ability to bring projects/initiatives to completion.
- Must possess superior interpersonal skills (oral and written),
coaching and mentoring skills, presentation skills, and must
exemplify key leadership attributes.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
- Experience analyzing and applying health care, contract,
employment and/or corporate laws, regulations and guidelines to the
practice of law in a health care setting.
Primary Location: California,Oakland,1800 Harrison Scheduled
Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Day Workdays: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
Working Hours Start: 08:30 AM Working Hours End: 05:30 PM Job
Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation: NUE-NCAL-09|NUE|Non Union
Employee Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports Department: Oakland
Reg - 1950 Franklin - Legal - 0206 Travel: No Kaiser Permanente is
an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive
workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental
status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status,
genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of
diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be
considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and
state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but
not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance
Click here for additional requirements >
Share This Job
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Oakland , Senior Counsel-Employment, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!