Managing Director of Programs
Company: The Center For Environmental Health (ceh)
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Now Hiring! Managing Director of Programs
THE POSITION: Managing Director of Programs
REPORTS TO: CEO
LOCATION: Oakland, California
THE ORGANIZATION The Center for Environmental Health
(CEH) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting
people from toxic chemicals by working with communities, consumers,
workers, government, and the private sector to demand and support
business practices that are safe for public health and the
environment. CEH uses litigation, scientific research, community
engagement, public policy, public education, corporate engagement
and market pressure to change the way companies do business. We
have approximately 23 staff members, with headquarters in Oakland,
CA and small satellite offices in North Carolina and Washington,
At CEH, striving for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
(JEDI) for all is critical to our mission and values. We know that
having a team that is diverse in race, ethnicity, gender, gender
identity and expression, ability, sexual orientation, age, and
background and opinions and fostering inclusion among that team is
core to achieving our organizational goals. We strive to recruit
talent from a diverse pool of candidates and ensure that those that
we hire are sufficiently supported so that they flourish. We want
everyone to not only have a seat at the table, but to know that
their presence and input makes our organization stronger.
THE POSITION We are seeking a highly strategic Managing
Director of Programs (MDP) to maximize the effectiveness of
programs and provide leadership to program staff. Reporting to the
CEO, the MDP is a newly developed role, and will be a key member of
CEHs Leadership Team, supervising up to seven Program Directors.
The MDP will also collaborate closely with the Development Director
and Communications Director to share our vision externally.
We are looking for a seasoned and collaborative manager who
leads with empathy, humility, and humor. The MDP will possess a
true passion for environmental health and eliminating toxics from
our bodies and our environment, and has a demonstrated commitment
to and understanding of social and environmental justice
The Managing Director of Programs will:
Oversee Strategy Development, Program Management, and
- Participate in the creation of, and lead implementation of,
CEHs programmatic vision for current programs and strategies
including: public interest litigation, environmental health policy,
and eliminating toxic chemicals from food, food packaging, and the
- Oversee strategic planning and evaluation processes, and lead
organization in adapting strategies based on emerging internal and
external events and issues. New programs currently being evaluated
include addressing the health and climate impacts of three
intersecting sectors: oil and gas, petrochemicals, and
- Set and oversee ambitious goals that eliminate/reduce toxic
chemicals from food, water, air, and consumer products.
- Assist staff in developing and implementing a well-defined work
plan that utilizes CEHs diverse program strengths.
- Ensure programs are synergistic and coordinated, as compared to
- Participate in budget development by providing detailed
justification for grant proposals and budget initiatives.
Serve as Leader, Mentor & Team Builder with Program
- As a Supervisor, work with Program Directors to develop clear
goals and priorities, and support them in achieving or exceeding
them. Serve as a mentor and sounding board to Program Directors and
their teams; maintain an open door policy encouraging input and
feedback from staff.
- Build on the strengths of staff members and support their
ability to grow and develop as leaders, empowering staff to
participate in decisions that affect their work.
- Promote cohesive teams that have a strong sense of
- Identify and support opportunities to enhance
Partner with CEO, Leadership Team, and Wider Staff
- Serve on the Leadership Team and ensure that decisions made are
in the best interest of staff and the organization.
- Work as a thought partner with the CEO on management,
budgetary, and personnel decisions.
- Help identify, screen and assess new projects and ideas for
programmatic or agency wide activities or actions.
- Partner with the Communications Director to elevate CEHs
overall messaging and communications about CEHs work.
- Partner with the Development Director to successfully bring
revenue into CEH to fund our programs.
- Support program staff in generating earned income through
consulting contracts, litigation, and other streams .
Represent CEH externally
- Serve as spokesperson for CEH with partner agencies, news
media, the CEH Board of Directors, and the public.
- Represent CEH with donors, both in writing and in person.
- Partner with coalitions and allies in the non-profit,
for-profit and government sectors.
Were looking for a strategic and inspiring leader who has the
- Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible leadership
positions and experience supervising multiple direct reports.
- Proven success working as part of a management team and
employing personnel and project management tools that ensure team
effectiveness and inform overall strategy. This should include
partnering with other teams, such as Development and
Communications, to integrate those functions into program
- Management style that helps individuals succeed, equips teams
to achieve more than the sum of their parts, supports and
facilitates professional change and growth in teammates, and
ensures achievement of program and operations objections.
- Expertise facilitating group discussions and processes that
value each persons expertise and important contributions to
- A track record of planning and executing multiple tactics for
successful program or campaign outcomes in the non-profit
- Demonstrated commitment toand ability to actively
promotediversity, equity, inclusion and justice, and experience
communicating with, managing, and coordinating diverse groups
within a multicultural workforce.
- Demonstrated commitment to intersectionality in
priority-setting, program design, hiring and communications.
- Shared vision that companies should be held accountable for
their harm to human health and the environment, and that this
sometimes requires directly challenging them, including in the
courts and the media.
- Shared vision that a progressive non-profit can successfully
partner with businesses whose leaders share our values.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- An open mind and a growth mindset, with a proven track record
of being highly creative and resourceful.
- Excellent stakeholder engagement and partnership skills.
- Enthusiasm and effectiveness in fundraising.
- Excellent communication skills, both in speech and
- Competency in the use of a variety of technical platforms.
- Background or experience in environmental or public health and
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Masters Degree preferred.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample (in that
order), all as one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with Managing Director of
Programs application in the Subject line. This position is open
CEH is an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization
committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we
consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity or
expression, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status ,
age, ability, personal appearance, family responsibilities or
Protecting People from Toxic Chemicals
2201 Broadway, Suite 508
Oakland, CA 94612
Center for Environmental Health, 2020. All Rights Reserved.
Keywords: The Center For Environmental Health (ceh), Oakland , Managing Director of Programs, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!