Senior Litigation Paralegal/Specialist
Company: Blue Shield of California
Posted on: June 9, 2021
This position assists attorneys in the Dispute Resolution Group
of the Law Department, and outside attorneys representing the
Company, in gathering facts and information needed to respond to
threatened and pending litigation brought by members and providers
of service. This position also assists attorneys in responding to
regulatory agencies on regulatory compliance investigations and
inquiries. In addition, this position involves independent analysis
and review of, and response to, subpoenas for depositions and
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage, meet and track a
variety of internal and external deadlines.
- Carries out analytical or process management tasks with high
degree of professional autonomy.
- Responsible for identifying, finding, gathering, organizing,
summarizing, producing, and analyzing documents and information in
BSC's systems and held by BSC employees relevant to the task at
- Identifies witnesses and testifies when needed regarding work
done to gather evidence and other information.
- Strong organizational and file management skills; ability to
intuitively organize and present varying degrees of information for
an executive audience.
- Responsible for reviewing, objecting to, and responding to,
subpoenas for deposition and documents.
- Accountable for the preparation of internal status reports with
an exceptional degree of thoughtfulness and accuracy.
- Experience with document hold and record retention legal
requirements and processes.
- Provide other case related support for managing attorney as
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience, including at
least 5 years experience in health care.
- A paralegal certificate is preferred, but not required.
- Experience providing legal or regulatory analysis is highly
- In-depth understanding of health plan coverage, medical
management processes, documentation, and other data sources
- Experience in highly regulated environments required;
experience in government health care programs preferred.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills required.
- Ability to engage and drive results in a highly matrixed
- Strong written and oral communication skills required,
including the ability to professionally communicate with
stakeholders across the Company.
- Ability to proactively identify process improvement
opportunities and self-execute on same.
- Candidate must be capable of reviewing and organizing data in
Excel and have general proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook and
- About Company: At Blue Shield of California we are parents,
leader, students, visionaries, heroes, and providers. Everyday we
come together striving to fulfill our mission, to ensure all
Californians have access to high-quality health care at a
sustainably affordable price. For more than 80 years, Blue Shield
of California has been dedicated to transforming health care by
making it more accessible, cost-effective, and customer-centric. We
are a not-for-profit, independent member of the Blue Cross Blue
Shield Association with 6,800 employees, more than $20 billion in
annual revenue and 4.3 million members. The company has contributed
more than $500 million to Blue Shield of California Foundation
since 2002 to have a positive impact on California communities.
Blue Shield of California is headquartered in Oakland, California
with 18 additional locations including Sacramento, Los Angeles, and
San Diego. We're excited to share Blue Shield of California has
received awards and recognition for - LGBT diversity, quality
improvement, most influential women in corporate America, Bay
Area's top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the
world's most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California,
we're striving to make a positive change across our industry and
the communities we live in - Join us!
- Physical Requirements:
Office Environment - roles involving part to full time schedule
in Office Environment. Based in our physical offices and work from
home office/deskwork - Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of
Please click here for further physical requirement detail.
- EEO Footer: External hires must pass a background check/drug
screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction
records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent
with Federal, State and local laws, including but not limited to
the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regards to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any
other classification protected by Federal, State and local
- Requisition ID: 21001PL
- Posting Date: May 12, 2021
- Schedule: Full-time
Keywords: Blue Shield of California, Oakland , Senior Litigation Paralegal/Specialist, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!