Laney College is one of four, two-year colleges, maintained by
the Peralta Community College District, located near the urban
center of Oakland. The 60-acre campus is located near the Oakland
Museum, the Henry J. Kaiser Center Convention Center, and within
blocks of Lake Merritt. It is the largest of the four campuses with
a population of 12,000 students. The College serves as a community
and cultural center that provides various educational programs and
services that assist adults of diverse communities in facing the
social, economic, and personal challenges of a changing
Job Title Biology Instructor Time Base Full-Time 1.0 FTE
Compensation Salary Range: $57,635- $77,843/yr. Initial salary
placement is commensurate with experience and educational
background. Benefits Information
The Peralta Community College District proudly offers a
competitive and comprehensive core of work-life benefits.* The
value of the employer contribution towards your benefits may
increase your total conpensation by as much as 47%.
Benefit-eligible employees have access to coverage for themselves
and eligible dependents:
- Medical, vision, prescription drug coverage*
- Life insurance of 150% of your annual pay up to $ 100,000.
- Long-term disability coverage.
- Employee Assistance Program.
In addition to your contribution, Peralta pays 14.43% of your
salary to the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS). Retirement
eligibility begins as early as age 50. After 10 years of creditable
service, medical benefits in retirement are extended until age 65.
Other benefits include 10 days sick leave, and holidays.
Other voluntary benefits include:
- Flexible benefit plan participation in the Medical
Reimbursement Plan, Dependent Care Reimbursement Plan (under tax
- Pre-tax commuting expenses (under IRS code 132).
- Tax-deferred plan participation in the 403(b) and 457
- Credit union membership.
- Prepaid legal plan participation.
- Additional Life Insurance for yourself, spouse or
- Kaiser and United Health Care Dental are fully paid by the
District. Other plans require employee contribution.
- Subject to change.
Position Type Academic Department Applied Technology Department
(553) Job Description Summary
Teaches a broad range of Biology courses including microbiology,
anatomy and physiology.
Duties & Responsibilities
Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours as part
of contract assignment.
Instructors are expected to use and keep abreast of advanced
teaching methods, including the use of current and future
technologies to support student learning and career objectives.
- Provide class instruction in accordance with established course
- Inform students via syllabi concerning course requirements,
evaluation procedures, and attendance requirements.
- Accurately maintain the necessary attendance, scholastic and
student records, and submit them according to District Policy and
- Prepare and grade class assignments and examinations, and
promptly return them to students.
- Post and maintain required office hours in accordance with the
- Participate in faculty discussions on curriculum,
teaching-learning techniques, teaching materials and
- Participate on departmental, divisional, and campus committees.
Develop and revise courses in the discipline.
The Instructor is also responsible for providing a full
professional service week that may include, but is not limited
o Teaching, teaching preparation, maintenance of office hours
and student advising, and maintenance of student rosters, class
records and grade completion in accordance with District policy and
o Performing departmental duties such as program and curriculum
development, evaluation and revision, student learning outcomes
assessment, selecting appropriate instructional materials, and
working with administrators and other faculty to develop a
comprehensive pre-collegiate program;
o Participation in professional activities such as departmental
and campus committee work, faculty peer evaluations, staff meetings
and participation in the governance structure of the College and
o Pursuing professional growth activities to remain current in
discipline and teaching methodology; and
o Performing professional outreach activities (e.g., working
with administrators and other faculty, as part of course
development and depending on need, by participating in an industry
advisory committee for a program, working with inter-segmental
education partners-such as high school, adult school and other
colleges-and industry partners to design and implement effective
basic skills curricula and career pathways in the discipline,
- Schedule may include evening or weekend hours as part of
- Performing other related duties as assigned by the
- Possession of a Master's Degree from an accredited college or
university in any biological science;
- Possession of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or
university in any biological science.
(THE CREDENTIAL WILL NOT SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS FOR
(California credentials were no longer issued after July 1,
- The equivalent qualifications.
(Candidates who claim equivalency must provide conclusive
evidence, as clear and reliable on the college transcripts as
required on the District Equivalency Application Form. Refer to the
Equivalency Procedures below. This is not a process to waive the
minimum qualifications.) Note: Foreign Degree(s) must be evaluated
by an official foreign credentials/transcripts evaluation and
- Applicant must have demonstrated cultural competency,
sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of
community college staff, faculty, and students.
Experience teaching microbiology, anatomy, and physiology.
- Experience teaching at a community college.
- Experience teaching distance learning (online) and/or hybrid
- Experience with curriculum review and assessment of
- Experience with classroom technologies.
- Experience with microscopy.
Environmental Demands Other Requirements Tools & Equipment Used
Application Deadline Date July 1, 2021 Open Date 06/02/2021
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you find out about the position?
- Asian Week
- California Community College Chancellor's Office website
- Career Builder
- Chronicle of Higher Education website
- Chronicle of Higher Education newspaper
- Community College Jobs Website
- Community College Times
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- El Mundo
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
- Job Fair, Conference or Workshop
- Local Newspaper (Oakland Tribune, SF Chronicle, ect)
- Oakland Post
- Peralta Jobs Website
- Walk-In (PCCD Office of Human Resources)
- Women in Higher Education
- Word of Mouth
- 24-Hour Job Line
- If you chose "Other" as your answer for the above question,
please provide details
(Open Ended Question)
- Are you currently a temporary, part-time faculty member with
Peralta Community College District?
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Other Document
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Curriculum Vitae