Alameda Health Systen is seeking a strong ED Manager with hands
on critical care experience. Under general direction, manages the
nursing services of assigned patient care areas. Responsible for
the effective implementation of the philosophy, goals, policies and
procedures of the organization related to nursing care. Performs
related duties as required.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the
duties performed by employees in this classification. However,
employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.
Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual
in the classification.
- Contributes to the establishment of Nursing Department goals
and objectives and routinely reports progress to immediate
- Determines and monitors priorities essential to achievement of
goals pertinent to area of responsibility.
- Assures the establishment and maintenance of an organizational
structure on each nursing unit for which responsible promotes
effective and economic utilization of personnel and supplies.
- Assures the establishment and maintenance of a system of
administration on each unit for which responsible which facilitates
the giving of patient care and the promotion of staff
- Evaluates progress of assigned areas and plans, implements and
evaluates programs to meet current and anticipated needs.
- Ensures the implementation and evaluation of individual nursing
- Participates in the determination and, in area of
responsibility, assures the implementation of patient care and
document standards and quality assurance criteria and monitors the
documentation of achievement.
- Consults and plans with physicians and other professional staff
in the coordination of health care delivery programs.
- Makes regular rounds to units to evaluate status of patient
care, operation and environment of the units and staff needs.
- Monitors the regularity of programs providing for continuity of
care, teaching of patients, control of infection in patient and
staff, and coordination of care with other departments.
- Directs the promotion of cordial and productive patterns of
communication and relationships with medical staff and inter/intra
- Promotes an environment therapeutic for patients, pleasant for
personnel and visitors and conducive to ease of communication, to
respectful and impartial treatment of employees and patients, and
to learning by staff and students.
- Contributes to the planning and implementation of educational
programs for employees, volunteers and students from affiliating
- Provides guidance directed to the continuous progress of unit
programs designed to facilitate methods of organization and
administration of patient care.
- Assists in developing and conducting studies.
- Communicates regularly with immediate supervisor to report on
status of activities, studies, trends, resources, personnel,
programs, needs and problems.
- Participates in interviewing, evaluating and recommending
nursing personnel for employment and promotion.
- Contributes to the development of staff performance standards
and assures the monitoring of personnel activities and the
evaluation of achievement and performance standards.
- Monitors the preparation of performance evaluation records at
prescribed intervals and participates in the preparation of the
records and the content of the associated guidance sessions.
- Prepares documentation to support requests for continuing
enhancement of nursing capabilities and make budgetary
recommendations on personnel, supplies, equipment, remodeling and
- Participates with the school faculty in the planning of
clinical experience programs for students from affiliating schools
and assures the cordial and coordinated operation of the
- Collaborates with other departments, agencies and public in the
provisions of information relating to area of responsibility.
- Participates in meetings with staff of unit for which
responsible and conducts and/or participates in other
- Provides required records and reports.
- Provides direct patient care to serve as a role model and to
contribute to learning of others.
- TPM - maintains compliance of all ACS level 1
Preferred Education: Graduate of an accredited Nursing program
required; Bachelor's degree in Nursing
Minimum Experience: Either (1) Three years full time continuous
experience as a Clinical Nurse III with AHS.
(2) Two years of full-time continuous experience as a Clinical
Nurse IV with AHS. (3) The equivalent of four
years full-time experience as a Charge Nurse or the equivalent
of three years full time experience as a Head
Nurse in a large acute facility. (NOTE: a Bachelor's Degree in
Nursing from a recognized school may be
substituted for one year of the required experience and a
Masters Degree in Nursing or related field from a
recognized school may be substituted for two years experience as
a Head Nurse.)
Trauma Program Manager (TPM) minimum experience: Four years as a
trauma nurse (ED or ICU) in an urban level 1 or level 2 trauma
center. A working knowledge of American College of Surgeons
Committee on Trauma standards (2014).
Preferred Education: Graduate of an accredited Nursing program
required; Masters Degree in Nursing or related field.
Required License/Certifications: CCRN - Critical Care Registered
Nurse is desirable.
Required Licenses/Certifications: ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life
Support Certification - issued by AHA - American Heart Association,
may be required per facility or unit/department specialty according
to patient care policies.
Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support
Certification issued by the American Heart Association. Other
advanced life support certifications may be required per
unit/department specialty according to patient care policies.
Required Licenses/Certifications: CEN - Certified Emergency
Nurse is desirable (for Emergency Department positions).
Required Licenses/Certifications: CPI -Crisis Prevention
Intervention Training (required for all positions at John George
Psychiatric Pavilion; and preferred for certain positions in the
Required Licenses/Certifications: PALS - Pediatric Advanced Life
Support Certification- AHA American Heart Association (Required for
Emergency Department or if overseeing or providing pediatric care
on a regular basis).
Required Licenses/Certifications: TNCC -Trauma Nurse Core Course
(Required for Emergency department).
Required Licenses/Certifications: Valid license to practice as a
Registered Nurse in the State of California.