Medical Assistant I/II
Company: La Clinica de la Raza
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Medical Assistants Building Healthier Communities
Who we are: La Clnica de La Raza is a community-based health
center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality,
and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San
Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and
creating a health home for the many that have been denied access to
care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to making sure
individuals who do not have health coverage get the same level of
quality healthcare as those who have it. From our genesis as a
community health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal
our communities without also addressing the economic and social
factors that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go
outside and provide services in other settings to build the bridge
that links individuals to our health center for preventive and
primary care. Over 90,000 individuals come to La Clnica because it
is a welcoming place that addresses the whole person, coordinating
and connecting them to a broad network of services to improve and
maintain their health and well-being. While we are still known for
our activism and spirit of social justice, we are also proud to
have grown into a sophisticated provider of primary health care
services with 35 sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano
Be part of an excellent care team: We are looking for Medical
Assistants who are inspired to deliver a great experience to our
patients and who want to play an important role in patient-centered
care by performing at the top of their scope of practice. At La
Clnica, you will be challenged to be exceptionally accurate,
observant and an efficient task-master while at the same time
providing a human touch and an excellent overall patient
experience. Many people excel at one of these areas, but it takes
someone with a special combination of skills and character to do
both. To be successful, you need to enjoy interacting with all
kinds of different people, to feel energized by a fast paced clinic
environment, and remain cool under pressure even when serving a
person who is upset, disrespectful or impatient. You should have a
successful history of being responsible, reliable and capable of
solving problems while being friendly and helpful in looking for
ways to support other care team members.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited
- Prepare treatment rooms and set up medical laboratory
- Verify purpose of visit with the patient and record medical
history in the Electronic Health Record system (EHR).
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding patient
- Administer health questionnaires.
- Prepare patients for examination by performing preliminary
physical tests and taking vital signs.
- Effectively communicate request from patients to provider or
care team members.
- Perform routine medical tasks and procedures, including vision
tests, urine dipstick tests, pregnancy tests, basic hearing tests,
blood glucose testing, site of care hemoglobin A1C testing, sputum
collections, oral HIV tests, and non-invasive specimen
- Collect finger stick blood specimens and assist in the
collection of tissue or other laboratory specimens: log the
specimens and prepare them for testing.
- Conduct specialized procedures under the direction of a
clinician such as nebulizer treatments, spirometry, suture removal
- Coordinate patient flow to maximize patient access and
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated
- Explain and/or translate treatment procedures, medications,
diets, or providers instructions to patients.
- Schedule follow-up appointment or recall appointment after
- Help providers examine and treat patients.
- Prepare and administer medications and injections as directed
by a provider.
- Provide prescription information to pharmacies, as directed by
- Actively participate in panel management and population health
practices and software tools.
- Complete and review information at end of patient visit.
- Administer immunizations, document in EHR, and other electronic
- Ensure that all logs, forms, records, and charts are complete,
thorough, and accurate.
- Provide patient education and follow-up care instructions as
instructed by provider.
Commitment to Quality
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellent patient experience and
quality outcomes in equal measure.
- Communicate and work effectively with providers and other
members of the care team to best serve patients.
- Contribute to a welcoming clinical space and healthy work
environment through proactive relationship building, direct
communication and sound judgment.
- Engaged participation in huddles, staff meetings, team building
activities and assigned development opportunities.
- Continue your professional development through participation in
- Adherence to La Clnica all ethical and professional standards,
including La Clnicas policies and procedures.
General Office Duties
- Perform general office duties, such as scheduling appointments
for patients, answering telephones, recording medical updates from
the provider, or completing insurance forms.
- Screen and monitor EHR requests, completing or routing as
- Greet and log in patients arriving at office or clinic in the
appropriate electronic system.
- Contact medical facilities or departments to schedule patients
for tests or appointments.
- Inventory stock, order, and verify receipt of medical, lab, or
office supplies or equipment.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions;
troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing
preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Enter key medical record information or perform other required
record keeping duties required.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Basic medical assisting practices and skills and the various
types of equipment used.
- Modern medical terminology, chronic health conditions, and
health education related to the service area.
- Working with modern computer applications and electronic health
- Administration of skin tests and medication by injection.
- Methods of safely lifting and moving patients, equipment and
- Cleaning and sterilization techniques for medical equipment,
examining rooms and patients areas.
- Bilingual proficiency in Spanish or (Specify Language).
- Demonstrate flexibility and ability to accept changes
- Able to work professionally and collaboratively in team-based
- Comfort with direct patient contact and solid interpersonal
skills for patient education and coaching.
- Ability to work and communicate with people from various
ethnic, socio-economic, educational and life experience.
- Use clear and efficient written and verbal communication skills
using the English language.
- Complete and maintain accurate and concise patient
- Ability to participate with other staff in Saturday and evening
Other Certifications and Experience
- MA-I: One year of hospital/clinic/medical office experience
- MA-II: American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA),
American Medical Technologists (AMT), California Certifying Board
of Medical Assistants (CCMA) or the Nationally Registered Certified
Medical Assistant (NRCMA).
- CPR certification within 6 months of hire.
- Phlebotomy Certification (only if required by the clinic).
- Certification for health clearances required of all healthcare
- High school diploma/equivalent.
Keywords: La Clinica de la Raza, Oakland , Medical Assistant I/II, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!