Residential Youth Counselor
Company: Fred Finch Youth & Family Services
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Brief DescriptionWho is Fred Finch?Fred Finch Youth & Family
Services is currently seeking dynamic and energetic youth
counselors for our 12 bed residential group home In Oakland, CA.
Fred Finch provides integrated, comprehensive and family-centered
treatment to youth residing in congregate care. The Avalon program
is a STRTP facility.Youth Counselors provide direct supervision to
residents in a fast-paced, dynamic milieu. The ideal candidates are
eager to work directly with residents and provide engagement and
interaction; act as a role model and caring adult to residents.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: observing and
documenting youth activity, implementation of the daily schedule,
provide de-escalation and crisis intervention if needed. Must
attend all required trainings and staff meetings.
- Ensure the safety of the residents at all times consistent with
agency standards of supervision.
- Assist the children in the performance of regular daily
activities, including bed making, personal hygiene, room cleaning,
and all other chores normally expected of children their ages.
- Provide a caring, warm, consistent environment for the children
through setting clear boundaries, supporting, encouraging, and
giving verbal praise and acknowledgment to children for positive
actions and decisions to help build self-esteem, age appropriate
interpersonal skills, positive thinking, problem solving, proper
language, coping skills, respect for others and self and
brainstorming alternative, appropriate behaviors, etc.
- Works closely and maintains consistent and appropriate
communication with other staff
- Maintains knowledge of each child's Target Behavior, Function
of Behavior, and Therapeutic Behavioral Interventions
- Maintains discipline and group control at all times and reports
- Checks in with the children frequently to prevent crisis
- High school diploma or equivalent required, Bachelor's Degree
preferred, residential experience a plus. FFYC provides a
competitive benefits package including medical, dental, PTO, sick
time and tuition reimbursement.Qualifications:Required
- Education:1.1. B.A. Arts/ Science Degree (preferred) or1.2.
High School Diploma/GED and one of the following:1.3. Valid Child
Development Teaching Permit or1.4. Completed 12 semester units of
Early Childhood Education, Adolescent Development, or Foster and
Kinship Care Education and have at least 100 hours of experience
work with youth or1.5. Valid certificate as an Alcohol Counselor,
Drug Counselor or Alcohol and Drug Counselor, and have at least 100
hours of experience working with youth or1.6. Valid Vocational
Training Certificate, credential or documentation demonstrating
that the individual is a trade journeyperson who instructs children
in vocational skills and have at least 100 hours of experience
working with youth or1.7. Previous employment as a staff or
volunteer for a minimum of one (1) year at a group home or
short-term residential therapeutic program or1.8. Previous relevant
experience as determined by CA's Department of Social Services to
meet any of the above requirements. Please see
more information.1.9. New Yosemite program only: a minimum of one
(1) year providing direct care or supervision of youth.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the developmental stages of the
- Demonstrated ability to utilize de-escalation techniques that
align with the trauma informed care model as part of intervention
strategy for working with participants in crisis who are responding
to triggers/stressors and/or demonstrating early indicators of
- Demonstrated cultural responsiveness in working with diverse
families and communities.
- Clean driving record; current CA Driver's License required, or
the ability to obtain within 10 days after hired.
- Basic computer and keyboarding competence with the ability to
use Microsoft Office Suite and/or competency with electronic
clinical documentation systems.Preferred
- Four (4) years of work experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience with program target
population (Example: intellectually disabled, homeless, teens or
young adults, emotionally disturbed).
- A minimum of one (1) year experience with program modality
(example: school-based, residential, mobile/community-based,
assertive community treatment, wraparound, etc.
- Click here for complete job description*****SummaryCheck out
our benefits package!
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 401k retirement plan
- Employer paid life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off - Start accruing from hire!
- Qualifying Employer for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Employee Discount Program
- Fun staff appreciation events!
- Free Meals and Office Snacks!
- Flexible Hours
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Keywords: Fred Finch Youth & Family Services, Oakland , Residential Youth Counselor, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!