IT Product Specialist, Senior - Location Flexible
Company: PG&E Corporation
Posted on: November 19, 2022
Requisition ID # 138331
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location: Oakland
PG&E's Information Technology (IT) organization is a unified
organization comprised of various departments which collaborate
effectively to deliver high quality technology solutions.
The Digital Workplace Team, part of the Infrastructure and Cloud
Services organization, helps enable joy at work through the
delivery of devices, collaboration platforms, and support services
designed to empower our coworker's productivity through
reliability, quality and speed of response.
The IT Product Specialist, Senior / Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
(VDI) Administrator's role is to ensure the stability, integrity,
and efficient operation of the existing on-premise VDI
environments. This is achieved by monitoring, maintaining and
supporting all 75+ VxRail nodes as well as over 4000+ end users'
sessions within the environment. The VDI Administrator will apply
proven communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills to
help identify and resolve issues in order to best serve
This role will support the expected forecast of planned on-premise
VDI infrastructure lifecycle, deploying emerging VDI capabilities
and support day to day operational needs. Position requires dynamic
LOB support and collaboration. Resource also participates in team
brainstorming/ troubleshooting sessions as well as an on-call
Major responsibilities include collaborating with key stakeholders
in the selection process, developing detailed system designs from
requirements, contract management, vendor management, capacity
management, contributing to future direction and roadmaps,
escalated support and product consulting, and documentation.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your
assigned location based on business need.
Assigned work location will be within PG&E Service
- Demonstrates full technical competence within VDI
virtualization technologies and strong understanding of areas
including computing, security and networking.
- Create and manage multiple configurations of virtual machines
using strong knowledge of vSphere and the VMware stack.
- Contributes to the continuous VDI product lifecycle from
research, planning and implementation to retirement. Experience
administering VMWare ESXi 7+, installing and configuring hardware
associated with VMware virtualization technologies.
- Manages VDI hardware at multiple technology versions and their
associated operating systems and installed applications. Maintain
systems versioning and assist with vulnerability management for
- Administration of the desktop images for VDI, patching,
application installations, publishing new desktop pools, publishing
new applications. Troubleshooting desktop issues related to VDI,
application and user profile issues, performance issues
- Partners with other product teams to deliver feedback on
existing products and introduce products for future programs.
- Ability to innovate and adopt new approaches, technologies and
solutions working with various subject matter experts and
- Develops implementation plans, metrics and operational support
to introduce new capabilities within virtualization
- Be able to provide accurate project timelines, labor and
materials cost estimates to the project
- Works with projects to determine the best use of existing
virtualization technologies and accurately forecast capacity and
demand alignment for resource allocation
- Performs contract management and be responsible for
understanding and complying with the product's existing maintenance
contracts and/or licenses.
- Defines and launch minimum viable products, adding key
- Assists with processing Help Desk escalation requests in
solving various end user issues.
- Provides direction and facilitates with support teams and
vendors for problem management and vulnerability remediation.
- Acts as primary liaison between various departments,
stakeholders, and business partners for VDI environments and
- Demonstrates knowledge of root cause analysis, continuous
improvement/change management tools, and techniques.
- Maintains vendor relationships, strong understanding of product
licensing and participating in Business Review meetings.
- Understands the industry's virtualization product positioning,
the product's key benefits, and the product's targeted users.
- Collaborates with other peer IT Product Specialists across
various technologies to ensure smooth and reliable operation of the
- Communicates (oral and written) recommendations and findings to
senior leaders and business end-users.
- Identifies the appropriate customer audience, their preferred
communication channels, and feedback collection.
- Develops messaging and change management material for business
leaders and end users.
- Owns, manages and prioritizes a list of new and backlog items
with regular refinement sessions.
- Organizes, produces, and reports on the progress of ongoing
testing, trials, and evaluation of new products and services.
- Develops and documents detailed technical knowledge of the
configuration, operation, and diagnostic of products while
maintaining familiarity with competing products.
- Available to support 24/7 on-call rotation work at least one
week every month.
- Contributes to a variety of documentation such as strategies,
plans, designs, usage or configuration standards, policies,
guidelines, user requirements, roadmaps, reports, metrics, process
manuals, configuration manuals, and other documentation specific
and necessary for the targeted product or service.
- Practice and promote a safety culture. Qualifications
- Associates Degree in Computer Science or job-related discipline
or equivalent experience
- Job-related technical experience, 4 years Desired:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or job-related discipline
or equivalent experience
- Job-related technical experience, 6 years
- Utility industry experience, regulated
- Experience deploying and managing virtualization technologies
integrated with the commercial cloud (Citrix, Azure, AWS,
- Understanding of NSX networking, vSAN and stretch clusters
- Develops tools, scripts and frameworks of moderate complexity
that drive efficiency in automation and management of current
- Strong knowledge of common application and security
- Knowledge of GPOs and how they interact with Citrix/VMware
policies. Implement and support Citrix policies through Citrix
- Working knowledge of Citrix Director and Workspace to provide
end user support, pull reports and maintain environment
- Knowledge of remote gateway solutions such as F5
- Recognizes and prioritizes product work based on customer
needs, product feedback, industry trends, aligning to technical and
organizational strategy, and understanding current and future
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Collaborates effectively across functional teams
- Knowledge of Agile principles, values, concepts, methods, best
practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job
Keywords: PG&E Corporation, Oakland , IT Product Specialist, Senior - Location Flexible, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!