Labor Relations Associate
Company: Pacific Maritime Association
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Reporting to the Area Assistant Director, the Labor Relations
Associate will require a proficiency in labor contract
administration, which may include negotiations, benefits
administration, forecasting manpower needs, grievance investigation
and resolution, including arbitration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
* Assist in analyzing collective bargaining agreements and
interpretation of intent, spirit, and terms of contract to counsel
management in development and application of labor relations
policies and practices.
* Collaborate on preparation of statistical reports of types and
frequency of actions taken concerning grievances, arbitration,
mediation, and related labor relations activities, to identify
* Coordinate and produce routine reports from PMA databases for
* Develop working knowledge of the terms of the labor contract to
monitor the day-to-day implementation of policies concerning wages,
hours, and working conditions.
* Assist in the investigation of complaints of violations against
longshore workers. Report on findings and provide recommended
* Furnish reference documents and statistical data concerning labor
legislation, labor market conditions, prevailing union and
management practices, wage and salary surveys, and employee
benefits programs for labor contract negotiations.
* Provide support to and participate in Joint Labor Relations
* Other duties may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform the job successfully, the candidate must be
knowledgeable and capable in the following areas:
* Possess excellent communication, written, oral, interpersonal and
teamwork skills, communicate constructively and confidently, listen
openly, and collaborate well with staff and others in different
* Demonstrate practical knowledge of the ILWU-PMA Pacific Coast
Longshore and Clerk Agreement and the Pacific Coast Walking
Boss/Foreman Agreement, dispatching procedures in the relevant port
* Display integrity and work ethic beyond reproach, and take
ownership for meeting the goals and objectives of the
* Convey a professional and positive attitude with action/results
orientation to problem solving.
* Proven ability and experience in exercising good judgment and
discretion in handling confidential materials and matters.
* Show facility in multi-tasking to meet multiple deadlines while
maintaining vigilant attention to detail and focus on producing
accurate and complete information.
* Possess strong organizational and analytical skills in managing
to daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual deadlines.
* Display strong initiative for own technical development including
learning from others about the nuances of the organization's
operational activities and industry.
* Excellent attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
* Ability to handle multiple demands; and prioritize workload;
establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and productive
* Extensive and excellent computer skills and experience using
robust systems such as Oracle and software such as Microsoft Word,
Excel, PowerPoint. Ability to use software tools to present data
clearly and concisely.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
* Bachelor's degree in business administration, industrial
relations or political science from a four year college or
university preferred. Juris Doctorate degree a plus.
* Three to four years direct industry experience with emphasis in
Labor Relations is preferred.
* Must be able to work and sit at a computer terminal for an
extended period of time.
* Must be able to lift up to 5 lbs.
* Must be able to crouch, bend and reach on a daily basis.
* Must be able to climb ladders/gangways, etc. for on the job
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions of the
Position is based in downtown Oakland, CA conveniently located
close to public transportation. The work environment combines an
office setting with frequent travel outside of the office area to
various ports in Northern California, with visits to docks,
terminals and ships. It is occasionally necessary to board ships,
in all weather conditions.
A valid state Driver's License and reliable transportation are
required for this job.
PMA offers hybrid schedules with the opportunity to work from the
office and from home.
Excellent benefits, 401K and team building events.
Pacific Maritime Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Type: Full-time%58047475%
Keywords: Pacific Maritime Association, Oakland , Labor Relations Associate, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!