Custodian Worker I
Company: Native American Health Center
Posted on: November 24, 2022
*JOB DESCRIPTION *
*POSITION: *Custodian/Security Guard I (807)
*LOCATION: *Native American Health Center (NAHC)
3124, 2950, or 2920 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94601
*STATUS: *Non-Exempt, Non-Union
*_Indian Preference Act: _* _Preference in hiring is given to
qualified Native Americans in accordance with the Indian _
_Preference Act(Title 25, US Code, Section 472 and 473). Applicants
claiming Indian Preference must submit verification of Indian
heritage certified by federally recognized tribe at time of
The Custodian/Security Guard I is responsible for janitorial
services of the clinic, i.e., the building, offices and clinical
spaces as well as overseeing traffic through the main entrance of
facility, providing information and assistance to patients, and
maintaining the safety of employees, members and the facility. The
Custodian/Security Guard I will open, close, and secure the
building, daily as scheduled. Demonstrate cooperative behavior with
supervisors, subordinates, colleagues, clients and the community at
all times. The
Custodian will work collaboratively with other Custodians and will
be required to work occasional Saturdays as needed and directed by
This position requires a motivated individual with high customer
service standards and excellent communication skills, as this
individual will be the first point of contact for
*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES *
1. Work with supervisor on setting priorities regarding cleaning
and special projects.
2. Proactively greet and assist all persons who enter the clinic in
a friendly, helpful and professional manner, and with the highest
degree of customer service. Provide assistance to patients and
clients, when needed, by directing them to the appropriate
department and/or staff person, helping to ensure they arrive at
their destination in a timely manner. Provide support in
maintaining the safety and security of staff and members.
3. Mop floors and disinfect bathrooms daily. Ensure all paper
products and soap containers are stocked. Wipe down walls, toilets,
sinks, bathroom stalls and doors with disinfectant at least
4. Empty all trash cans, recycle and compost receptacles daily.
Wipe outside of trash can and clean weekly with disinfectant.
Supporting the clinic's recycling and composting program.
5. Clean glass windows weekly.
6. Empty infectious waste stored in biohazard waste containers,
then place in the infectious waste container in biohazard closet
for pick-up weekly and as needed.
Assist biohazard disposal vendor with access to biohazard waste
pick-up on a weekly basis.
7. Sweep and mop building floors and vacuum carpets daily and as
8. Take out and bring in garbage containers from the street to
inside the building as scheduled with waste management vendor.
9. Clean and wipe walls, door knobs and doors with disinfectants
weekly and as needed. Document activity by signing log sheets as
10. Record refrigerator and freezer temperatures on logs to ensure
DPH and VFC guidelines.
11. Move furniture as needed and ensure that furniture is properly
anchored. Set up tables/chairs for meetings/special events, as
12. Assist in ordering and monitoring of janitorial supplies.
Maintain safety data sheet
(SDS) binder. Act as delivery contact person for all custodial and
building maintenance supplies.
13. Assist in maintaining OSHA and fire clearance requirements.
Check eye wash flush station and fire extinguishers monthly.
14. Deliver incoming and outgoing mail daily to the Administrative
15. Make sure all visitors, patients and staff, have vacated
premises prior to closing the building.
16. Assist in emergency preparedness, including serving a role in
the evacuation of the clinic when necessary.
17. Responsible for reporting and addressing any building damage,
repair or maintenance issues throughout the clinic. Notify the
Facility Supervisor of any building and/or safety issues that arise
in a timely manner. Notify the Facility
Supervisor, as well as the Executive Director, immediately of any
urgent, potentially harmful or life-threatening issues or
18. Monitor and direct all repair and service workers while
providing services within the clinic.
17. Patrol premises, actively observe and monitor all visitors to
the facility, and address any suspicious behavior that could be in
violation of NAHC policies.
Document daily walkthroughs on sign in sheets throughout the
18. Assist in de-escalating upset people and if necessary, escort
them out of the premises. Document all incidents on appropriate
forms (Unusual Occurrence) and submit to supervisor.
19. Assist members by opening doors for them, providing information
on clinic services, and other general customer service duties.
20. Escort members and staff to their personal car as
21. Ensure the parking garage has no violators periodically
throughout the day.
Report any violations to the Facility Supervisor and the Executive
Deliver parking violations to violators. Make sure all visitors,
patients and staff, have vacated premises prior to closing the
22. Secure the main entrance to the clinic. Responsible for locking
and unlocking main doors, as well as arming and disarming the site
23. Assist in emergency preparedness, including serving a role in
the evacuation of the clinic when necessary. During walkthroughs
check site safety equipment including fire extinguishers, striker
chairs and other emergency equipment to ensure they are in working
24. Work in tandem with emergency personnel to address any and all
emergency situations. Clear pathways, maintain space, open doors,
direct them to site, and provide assistance as needed.
25. Work in tandem with the Safety Committee to stay up to date on
safety and emergency preparedness principles. Assist NAHC staff and
members during an emergency. Maintain order, direct staff and
members to safety location and ensure building is evacuated.
26. Responsible for reporting and addressing any building damage,
repair or maintenance issues throughout the clinic. Report any
safety concerns immediately to your supervisor and take action to
27. Ensure that clinic bulletin boards and flyers are up to date at
28. Member Care: Demonstrate understanding and apply working
knowledge of safety policies and ensuring safe member
29. Employee Safety: Safely performs all duties; follows required
protective protocols to ensure personal safety as well the safety
30. Must maintain compliance with ergonomic safety standards; be
mindful of posture and regularly practice ergonomic stretches.
31. Quality Improvement: Actively participate in internal quality
improvement teams and work with members proactively to drive
quality improvement initiatives in accordance with the mission and
strategic goals of the organization, federal and state laws and
regulations, and accreditation standards, when assigned.
32. HIPAA: Keep all protected health information (PHI) confidential
and abide by
HIPAA policies for the release and disclosure of any PHI. Will
report unauthorized use of disclosure of PHI immediately, to
supervisor or HIPAA security officer.
33. Work well under pressure, meet multiple and often competing
34. At all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with supervisors,
subordinates, colleagues, clients and the community.
35. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
1. High school diploma or GED is required.
2. OSHA and CPR training required annually.
3. Possession of Guard Card or willingness to obtain one within 6
months of hire.
4. Previous experience in maintenance and janitorial company
5. Must be able to follow instructions, have excellent work ethic,
and excellent time and attendance standards.
6. Knowledge of the Bay Area Native American community with a
commitment to serving Native Americans and other vulnerable patient
7. Must be able to work independently.
8. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. with relative ease.
9. Must be able to provide TB and Physical clearance prior to start
10. CPR certification must be obtained within 90 days and kept
current at all times.
11. Able to furnish Vaccination history prior to start date
dependent on role.
Native American Health Center (NAHC) considers our employees to be
our most valuable resource and offers an excellent benefit package:
competitive salaries, personal time off (PTO) or sick/vacation
leave program, and an employer contribution 403(b) retirement plan
to full-time regular status employees. We also provide medical,
vision, dental, flexible spending, group term and voluntary life
insurance coverage for employees and their dependents-with a
percentage of employee contribution for dependent medical
*_Note to Applicants_* _: _
_Please be advised a post job offer, pre-employment Physical and TB
test are required as a condition of employment. _
_Additionally, you may be asked to get a Department of Justice
Fingerprinting and an *Educational credentials background check
clearance* as a contingency for an offer of employment. Criminal
clearances are obtained to protect the welfare and safety of
clients receiving services at NAHC. _
*EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: * Within the scope of Indian
Preference, all candidates will receive equal consideration without
regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin or other
*Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA): *Native American
Health Center abides by the mandates of the
ADEA (protecting individuals 40 years and older) and considers age
a non-merit factor in all employment decisions and
*Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): *Native American Health
Center abides by the mandates of the ADA and considers disability a
non-merit factor in all employment decisions and considerations.
Furthermore, NAHC will make any practical, feasible, and reasonable
arrangements to accommodate qualified applicants and employees with
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $22.00 - $26.62 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* Monday to Friday
People with a criminal record are encouraged to apply
* This role is a full-time role. Are you able to work 40 hour work
week schedule during regular business hours?
* High school or equivalent (Required)
* Custodial: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: Native American Health Center, Oakland , Custodian Worker I, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!