Major Gifts Officer
Company: California League of Conservation VE
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Description: Employment Type: Full-time, Exempt
Wage: A competitive annual salary of $70k - $85k base pay
Department: Philanthropy Department
Reports To: Senior Philanthropy Officer
Position Location: Bay Area or Los Angeles, California
Work Schedule: We have a hybrid schedule - two (2) days a week in
office, and three (3) remote
Vaccine Policy: We require all staff to be fully vaccinated
Highly respected organizations, California Environmental Voters
(EnviroVoters), and EnviroVoters Education Fund, are excited to
launch a search for a Major Gifts Officer to join our dynamic, fun,
and high-performing team!
Reporting to the Senior Philanthropy Officer, the position of Major
Gifts Officer is responsible for the identification, cultivation,
solicitation and stewardship of donors and prospects to make gifts
at a four- to six-figure level. This role is responsible for cold
calling to secure meetings, representing the organization,
developing individual cultivation and solicitation strategies, and
working with volunteers to achieve the organization's budgetary
minimums and stretch goals. Prospects may come from individual,
organizational, corporate, or private foundations.
This candidate will assist with EnviroVoters's 5-year growth
campaign to raise $32 million across its c4, c3, and PAC
WHO WE ARE
We believe this moment requires transformative change. The climate
crisis is here. And Black, Indigenous and people of color have been
bearing the burden of our pollution-based economy for generations.
We have the solutions to stop climate change, but we lack the
political will to do it at the rate and scale that's needed.
EnviroVoters exists to build the political will and power to solve
the climate crisis, use climate action to advance justice, and
create a global roadmap. To protect our water, land, air, and our
most vulnerable communities, we organize voters, elect and train
candidates, and hold lawmakers accountable for bold policy
Our vision is to build resilient, healthy, thriving communities,
and create a democracy and economy that is just and sustainable for
EnviroVoters Education Fund, EnviroVoters's 501(c)3 sister
organization, works through programs focused on voter engagement
and mobilization, issue advocacy, legislative accountability, and
research and opinion polling to provide the public, policymakers,
and environmental advocates with the resources they need to make
California's air, water, and natural resources cleaner and greener
through the democratic process. For more information, please visit
The work of EnviroVoters and EnviroVoters Ed Fund to protect and
advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial,
social, and environmental justice. Engaging Black, Indigenous, and
People of Color, among other key constituencies for the environment
is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to
create a workplace culture and policies and practices that
demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
OUR CORE VALUES
Relationships are at the heart of our culture and our core values
enable us to build ones that are strong, trusting, empowering, and
thriving. Therefore, in our everyday interactions with each other
and our partners, we strive to act with Equity, Courage, Integrity,
Compassion, Impact, and Learning.
WORK SCHEDULE AND VACCINE POLICY
A focus on relationships also informs our work schedule. We believe
time together in person is critical to team building. To that end,
we currently work two days a week in person with the possibility of
increasing to three in the future. As such, we require all
employees to be fully vaccinated.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
The Major Gifts Officer is critical to our overall organizational
success and will be responsible for prospect and donor
identification, solicitation, stewardship, and engagement.
- Manage and develop a portfolio of up to approximately 250
current, lapsed and prospective donors, deepening relationships in
person, virtually, over the phone, and in writing.
- Meet with donors and prospects across California. It is
expected that the Major Gifts Officer will hold at least 100 donor
visits annually. Engage donors and prospects at events and other
venues as part of the cultivation process.
- Solicit gifts up to $100,000+ to reach EnviroVoters'
- Manage the existing Eco Power Caucus major donor membership
- Develop and support research, identification, cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship strategies for EnviroVoters major
gift program and prospects assigned to board members and
- Plan and execute regular donor cultivation events, house
parties, and political briefings, working closely with Host
Committee members, staff and board members, to execute.
- Provide stewardship and recognition of major donors.
- Write persuasive presentations and personalized emails,
letters, reports and proposals to donors and prospects.
- Execute a call time program of solicitations and thank you's to
- Employ a pipeline system and moves management process to manage
the progression of major gifts prospects towards solicitation.
- Represent EnviroVoters at external functions and events.
- Work collaboratively with philanthropy, communications, and
program staff to develop compelling materials to maximize
- Ensure donor portfolio records are current with all necessary
and pertinent information, and input contacts and actions into
donor database as time permits.
- Work with development staff to ensure that pledges are
documented, received, and stewarded appropriately.
- Assist in the execution of planned gifts.
- Other duties as assigned. MUST HAVES
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in fundraising and 4 years of
work experience, with an emphasis as a frontline fundraiser.
- Experience in, or exposure to, major gift fundraising.
- A successful track record of closing new gifts.
- Demonstrated strength in relationship management. Ability to
understand the needs and interests of major donors in order to
develop relationships with them.
- Ability to cultivate, solicit and close gifts.
- Comfortable working independently and as a member of a larger
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and handle complex
tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to represent EnviroVoters in a variety of
- Commitment to equity and inclusion as an organizational
practice and culture.
- Professional and capable of handling confidential information
with the utmost discretion.
- This position requires use of personal vehicle, a valid
driver's license, and proof of auto insurance to travel to donor
meetings and occasional air travel.
- This position requires occasional evening and weekend work.
- Passionate, has desire, and highly motivated to do the
- Tenacity, persuasiveness, collegiality.
- A can do attitude.
- Ability to inspire and motivate donors.
- Politically savvy with an ability to connect with donors and
prospects in a meaningful way.
- Passionate about protecting the environment, racial justice and
equity, and meaningful social change.
- An eagerness for continued improvement and learning. WHAT ELSE
YOU SHOULD KNOW
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated
professional to assume a pivotal role in this highly respected
organization. California Environmental Voters offers competitive
salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical,
dental, vision, and disability coverage; a 401(k)-retirement
program with employer match; flexible spending account (FSA) for
health care expenses; commuter program; and optional life
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the
only duties to be performed by the employee(s) of this position.
Employees will be required to follow any other job-related
instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested
by any person authorized to give instruction or assignments. All
duties and responsibilities are essential functions and
requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate
individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully,
the employee will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to
perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this
document are the minimal levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or
otherwise, other than an at-will relationship.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume with the subject line Major Gifts
Officer to Apply Here . No phone calls, please. Applications will
be reviewed on a rolling basis.
California Environmental Voters and the California Environmental
Voters Education Fund are committed to workplace diversity and
inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not
discriminate in hiring or employment based on race, color,
religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual
orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law . click
apply for full job details
Keywords: California League of Conservation VE, Oakland , Major Gifts Officer, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!