Company: Asian Health Services
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Contributes as a team member to facilitate and enhance access to,
appropriate utilization of, and satisfaction with AHS services by
patients and community members. They help to plan and implement
advocacy activities through patient and community education and
engagement. Job functions span duties in Member Services, Support
Services, Clinical Services, and Community Services. The assignment
of tasks and the percentage of time spent in each area will be
determined by the Community and Patient Relations Manager, in
consultation with managers and supervisors in those work areas.
This will vary by position and may shift depending on staffing
levels (sickness, vacation, leaves) and as patient and community
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Support Services Duties:
- Greet and register patients, update patients' records, and
create and distribute forms related to patients' visits.
- Verify the insurance and financial status of patients and
- Determine and explain to patients the extent of their insurance
benefits and payment responsibilities, and collect insurance
- Answer and appropriately handle intercom and phone calls.
Assess callers' needs and assist them in getting their needs
- Facilitate internal and external referrals and appointments:
Schedule, cancel, and reschedule referrals and appointments as
needed. Internally, it includes all AHS services appointments
(e.g., medical clinic, eligibility, nutrition, dental, behavioral
health, special clinics, health education, etc.). Externally,
includes appointments for specialists, hospitals, clinics,
diagnostic testing, treatment, and other organizations providing
health and social services.
- Make daily appointment reminder calls to assigned
- Anticipate and take proactive steps to identify and avoid
patient problems. Facilitate resolution of problems that are within
AHS departments, between AHS departments, or involve external
organizations, providers, and services. Includes but is not limited
to billing issues, medication requests/refills/questions, lab
results, specimen collection, equipment loan, eligibility,
- Assist patients to complete all healthcare-related paperwork,
including but not limited to 32 weeks prenatal records, CHDP forms,
medical record releases, disability, WIC, pregnancy verification,
MSP, and other requests. Process their paperwork.
- Assist medical records to pull charts, retrieve or return
medical records, respond to requests for Release of Medical
Records, copy patient records, and participate in the annual purge
of medical records.
- Carry out phone and mail communications with patients related
to their health care needs and AHS treatment and services. Includes
but is not limited to broken appointments Waiting Area Duties:
- Create a welcoming environment in the waiting area that
addresses patients' needs by greeting, scanning for difficulties
such as long waits or delays, answering questions, assisting, and
directing patients to appropriate services and staff in the
- Conduct outreach/education activities and patient surveys in
the waiting room. Interpreting and Translating Duties:
- Provide phone, on-site, and message-relay interpreting services
for all healthcare-related interactions between patients and any
AHS staff (e.g., front desk interactions, triage, clinicians,
billing, perinatal, behavioral health, nutrition, dental, AMSHO,
- Provide interpreting services during educational workshops and
activities, special events, meetings, hearings, media events, and
other organizational activities.
- Observe current codes of ethics and standards of practice for
health care interpreting (e.g., interprets all speakers' messages
accurately and completely; transparently carries out various
interpreter interventions, such as cultural brokering, to
facilitate clear communication between speakers; etc.)
- Sight-translate written materials between English and the
language of service.
- Interpret over the phone, on occasion, for other health care
organizations and providers.
- Translate written clinic, health education, and organizational
materials, acting as primary translator, word-processor, editor,
proofreader, and/or back-translator as assigned.
- Participate in developing and implementing tools and activities
to a) assess language proficiency and interpreting skills and b)
train and develop language proficiency and medical terminology
among AHS staff. Patient Eligibility:
- Conducts patient financial screening to determine eligibility
for County Medical Services Program (CMSP), Medicare, Medi-Cal,
Healthy Families, and other payment sources.
- Assists patients in completing forms and applications for
payment programs. Follows up on patients' pending status for
- Assists patients in selecting a primary care provider and a
health insurance plan, including PPO and HMO.
- Contacts health plan and insurance company to verify patients'
insurance coverage and referral requirement; may assist in
completing Medi-Cal applications and perform status follow-up with
the county's Medi-Cal worker.
- Updates patient financial information.
- Answer inquiries and provides counseling regarding Medi-Cal and
Medicare and their managed care systems, and other social service
- Answers phone calls and make appointments for members.
- Assists the Member Services Manager in conducting member exit
interviews and in processing monthly member rosters for all AHS'
contracted managed care plans.
- Provides advocacy for AHS patients/members due to government
welfare reform and immigration policies.
- Conduct medical history intake interviews for all patients
including new patients, newborn infants, and perinatal patients.
Patient and Community Health Education Duties:
- Conduct and document health education and outreach activities
on various health topics (e.g., access to health care/health
insurance, perinatal, AIDS, smoking cessation, etc.) in a
linguistically and culturally appropriate manner with small-large
groups and individuals.
- Perform perinatal intake and appointment arrangements.
Participate in planning, implementing, and monitoring changes to
improve the quality of perinatal services, particularly for our
smaller communities. Includes but is not limited to participating
in meetings (e.g., perinatal wrap-up, CPHW meetings, labor coach,
etc.) and training.
- Conduct community needs assessments and evaluation activities
through various formats (e.g., focus groups, community surveys,
patient surveys, key informant interviews) and participate in
planning effective programs and services for AHS patients and Asian
- Develop and maintain contacts and working relations with staff
at other organizations serving the Asian immigrant community.
Represent AHS in various community forums and meetings.
- Coordinate and participate in health education materials
development: a) Develop or adapt educational materials for cultural
appropriateness in a variety of formats (written, video,
displays/posters, PowerPoint presentations, etc.), b) Translate, c)
Design, d) Duplicate, e) Review materials for readability,
translation quality, and cultural appropriateness, and f)
coordinate or participate in Clinic-Health Ed Materials Committee
- Patient Leadership Council: a) Identify and recruit potential
patients for PLC involvement, b) Plan, attend and facilitate PLC
meetings, c) Assist PLC members in identifying and carrying out
their plans. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma and four years of relevant work experience
- College degree and two years of work experience in a health
- Ability to speak, read, and write in high proficiency level an
Asian language. (Vietnamese strongly desired.) PREFERRED
- Community health setting experience
Medical, Dental, Vision premiums 100% paid by AHS
12 Vacation Days
12 Sick Days
11 Holidays and two Floating Holidays
3% 403B Employer Contributions and up to 2% Employee Match
Transportation Benefit Paid by AHS
FSA/Dependent Care Assistance
Long Term Disability
Keywords: Asian Health Services, Oakland , Patient Navigator, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...