Company: Family Education and Resource Center (FERC)
Posted on: December 8, 2018
Mental Health Association of Alameda County;
Family Education and Resource Center (FERC)
440 Grand Avenue, Suite 360, Oakland, CA 94610
Phone: - Fax: Full-Time Position Available - Open Until Filled Family Advocate If you are, or have been, a family member/primary caregiver responsible for, or closely involved in the
life of a loved one with a serious mental illness or emotional disturbance (adult or child) whether
biologically related or not, The Mental Health Association of Alameda County encourages you to apply
for a full time, benefitted position currently available with its program. Seeking persons with 'PERSONAL
LIVED EXPERIENCE' that now drives their passion for serving other family members/caregivers needing
hope and support. No 'on the job' experience in the mental health field is required; however there is an
extensive three month (minimum) Family Advocate training curriculum to be completed prior to
working with families. THE PROGRAM
The Family Education and Resource Center ('FERC') is a family/caregiver-centered program that provides
information, education, and support services to family/caregivers of children, adolescents, transitional
age youth, adults, and older adults with serious emotional disturbance or mental illness living in all
regions of Alameda County. These services are provided in a culturally competent manner, reaching out
to people of various ethnicities and language groups. The FERC is a component of Alameda County's
Community Services & Support plan, funded with Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) dollars and
operated by the Mental Health Association of Alameda County (MHAAC) under contract with Alameda
County Behavioral Health Care Services. ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
Under the supervision and guidance of the Program Supervisor, Family Advocates' duties may include,
but are not limited to the following:
* Assist family/caregivers in navigating the complex behavioral health care system in Alameda County
* Support family/caregivers by phone or by in-person consultation
* Provide a full range of information, support, encouragement, advocacy, and referral to appropriate
community resources, and related services in order to assist the family/caregiver in coping effectively
with immediate and/or long-term situations.
* Attend, facilitate and/or support family /caregivers self-help groups, existing family support groups
and family peer support efforts.
* Document key components of calls and activities (database, logbooks, etc.)
* Actively participate in liaison role with key partners such as NAMI affiliates (attend meetings,
coordinate trainings, etc.)
* Active involvement in community outreach (e.g. table at health fairs, schools, and other public venues,
etc.) QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE:
CURRENT OR PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE AS A FAMILY MEMBER/PRIMARY CAREGIVER RESPONSIBLE FOR,
OR CLOSELY INVOLVED IN THE TREATMENT OF, AN INDIVIDUAL HAVING AN EMOTIONAL
DISTURBANCE OR MENTAL ILLNESS (CHILD OR ADULT), WHETHER BIOLOGICALLY RELATED OR NOT. Personal Knowledge/experience of:
* What it takes to be a family member/primary caregiver of someone with a serious emotional
disturbance or mental illness.
* The issues associated with having a family member with a serious emotional disturbance or mental
illness as well as the physical, psychological, and emotional stressors which often accompany this
* Advocating on behalf of a family member (child or adult) to obtain services and/or assistance.
* Direct/personal experience navigating the behavioral health care system as the family
member/primary caregiver of a child, adolescent, young adult, adult, or older adult.
Desirable or Highly Desirable (but not required) Qualifications:
* Familiarity with the behavioral health care services in Alameda County (highly desirable);
* Bilingual and/or bicultural (highly desirable); reflecting the communities we serve.
* Familiarity with the National Alliance on Mental Illness ('NAMI') and/or CA United Advocates for
Children and Families.
* Graduate and/or trainer of the NAMI Family to Family Education Program or other NAMI signature
educational and/or support program or the United Advocates for Children's EES Training. Other Requirements:
Must have a motor vehicle available for daily use, possess a valid California driver's license, carry vehicle
liability insurance, and have an acceptable motor vehicle report, as determined by MHAAC's insurance
broker. HOURS OF WORK: This is a full-time position. Mon - Fri: 9AM-5PM; some evenings and weekends. WORK LOCATION: Alameda County. Exact office location - to be determined; FERC Main office is in
Oakland, and satellite offices are in Livermore, and Fremont. SALARY: $3,520 per month (DOE). Employee benefits include vacation and sick leave and employer-paid
health/dental insurance. TO APPLY: PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AND FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: ***Secure an application packet by downloading it from the FERC website (click on
'Employment Opportunities'), or by picking it up at the FERC main office located at 440 Grand Avenue,
Suite 360 Oakland, 94610. Office hours are Monday thru Thursday 9am-5pm; Friday 9am-1pm. Fax to
. Please be sure to provide a fully completed application packet which includes: the
Application, Supplemental Questions, and Affirmative Action Form. Application packets are not
considered complete unless the Supplemental Questions have been answered; a resume is desirable,
but does not replace the application and supplemental questions. If you have questions, you can reach
the FERC office at . The Mental Health Association of Alameda County (MHAAC) has been serving people with mental illness and their families in Alameda County since 1958. In 2006, MHAAC also began providing Patients' Rights Advocacy Services in San Mateo County. MHAAC is an independent nonprofit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. MHAAC is an independent local affiliate of the Mental Health Association in California and the national organization Mental Health America.
Keywords: Family Education and Resource Center (FERC), Oakland , Family Advocate, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!