Senior Data Scientist - Authorship
Company: Turnitin, LLC
Posted on: September 14, 2019
Company DescriptionTurnitin is your partner in education with
integrity. Turnitin's originality checking and authorship
investigation services ensure academic integrity, promote critical
thinking, and help students improve their authentic writing.
Turnitin provides instructors with the tools to prevent plagiarism,
engage students in the writing process, and provide personalised
feedback. Turnitin is used by more than 30 million students at
15,000 institutions in 140 countries. Turnitin is headquartered in
Oakland, Calif., with international offices in Newcastle, U.K.,
Utrecht, Netherlands, Melbourne, Australia, Seoul, Korea and
throughout Latin America.Job DescriptionAbout Data Science in
Data Scientists are responsible for converting raw data into
actionable insights for our students and teachers as well as
internal decision makers and stakeholders. This role will report
into the Machine Intelligence team, and is expected to own data
science for Turnitin's new Authorship product. The Authorship
product extends Turnitin's industry leading Academic Integrity
suite by providing tools to help identify and prevent the rapidly
growing problem of contract cheating in student and academic
writing. We do this by leveraging the latest advances in Data
Science to bring forward predictions and insights on the writing
style and consistency of every student, enabling educators and
Academic Integrity Officers to make better decisions about the
origin of a piece of writing with more context and clarity.
Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for an innovative data scientist with strong data
and statistical skills to own the Data Science work in the
Authorship product. This role will be a vital member of the
Turnitin Machine Intelligence team. Your focus will be on
leveraging Turnitin's 1B+ student papers as well as our proprietary
labeled datasets to understand how to detect instances of contract
cheating. Being able to generate clean data from large, raw, and
disparate tables is important, as well as being able to communicate
your findings to teammates, colleagues and senior leadership with
diverse backgrounds and skillsets. Must be able to function with
high autonomy and feel comfortable owning the direction of data
science within the project and helping to steer the project
Day-to-day, your responsibilities are to:
- Work closely with domain experts, project engineers and product
owners and own the setting of Authorship data exploration
- Find, extract, and clean the necessary data from Turnitin's
vast data stores to answer those questions by writing efficient and
robust SQL queries.
- Develop innovative and rigorous statistical aggregation and
modeling techniques to make predictions and bring forward insights
from the data.
- Create production ready data and modeling pipelines in the
Turnitin AWS stack that will power key data features surfaced by
the Authorship product.
- Regularly communicate project direction, status, needs and key
findings to stakeholders across the company, from teammates and
colleagues to senior and executive leadership.
- Stay up to date with the latest advances in applied data
science by reading papers, industry blogs, and attending
- Function as a Data Science thought leader within Turnitin,
helping to champion good data practices and expand the vision of
data science across the company.
- Mentor more junior data scientists as the team grows.
- Experience with the above responsibilities.
- Experience in extracting insights and predictions from large,
raw data stores.
- Fluency in SQL, Python + Jupyter notebooks or R + RStudio, unix
systems, git, github.
- Strong applied knowledge of Statistics and predictive
algorithms and fluency with general machine learning domains
including classification, regression and unsupervised
- Essential software engineering fundamentals (we use Python,
Unix-based systems, git, and github for collaboration and
- Strong data science and data exploration skills in local and
cloud based workflows.
- Master's in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics,
or related field; or 3+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Interest in Education Technology and Academic
- Fluency in more advanced Machine Learning techniques such as
deep learning, and recommender systems.
- Prior experience in natural language processing or
Additional InformationTurnitin, LLC is committed to the policy that
all persons have equal access to its programs, facilities and
employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national
origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age,
religion, creed, disability, medical condition, genetic
information, marital or veterans status.
Keywords: Turnitin, LLC, Oakland , Senior Data Scientist - Authorship, Other , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!