Principal Financial & Operations Analyst
Company: Matson Inc
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Matson has been the leading ocean shipping and logistics provider
throughout the Pacific since 1882. We are the supply chain lifeline
for Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, and islands of the South Pacific. We also
offer the top two ocean shipping services in the worlds largest
trade lane - Asia to the U.S. West Coast. With our subsidiaries
Matson Terminals and Matson Logistics, our business focus is
exceeding customer expectations with quality, reliability, and
We strive to operate in an environmentally sustainable manner and
promote land-based environmental programs in Hawaii, Guam, and
Alaska. We help improve the communities in which we work and live
through our community giving program that annually supports
hundreds of local organizations. And we work to improve diversity,
equity and inclusion in our company, communities and industry
through an active social equity program.
Matson is a great place to work, and everyone who works with us
becomes part of the Matson ohana or family. Join our team and help
us move freight better than anyone.
Learn more at matson.com.
About the Role
The Principal Financial & Operations Analyst is responsible for
financial analysis, in-depth evaluations, and driving efficiency.
Being able to apply both technical and analytical skills is key to
this roles success. Additional responsibilities include internal
reporting and variance analysis; building and applying new methods
of analysis/presentation; and preparing the annual budget for the
Operations Division. This cross-functional role interacts with
numerous departments to streamline and systematize business
This position is available for a hybrid/flex work opportunity.
What youll do:
- Support the Operating Department on all operational and
- Lead ad-hoc accounting projects and segments of larger projects
as assigned by the Senior Manager.
- Responsible for preparing, reviewing, and analyzing operating
plans and forecasts.
- Produce weekly cost analysis, spend reports, and variance
- Analyze monthly activities and financial results, approve
invoices, and monitor contractual compliance.
- Prepare and evaluate strategic business opportunities involving
the Operations Department.
- Maintain SOX 404 internal control compliance, working with the
Accounting Department as necessary.
- Identify opportunities for operational improvements and
You have these skills:
- Ability to create and analyze complex Excel workbooks for
formulating budgets and cost analysis.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; interacts
effectively with various levels of management.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of an
integrated operating team.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
And these qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Finance or Accounting is preferred
- Advance Microsoft Office Suite (Excel and PowerBI), Tableau,
and Workday skillset.
- 3-5 years of experience in accounting practices in business and
Youre also great at:
Extra credit if you have:
- Knowledge of the transportation and shipping industry.
At Matson, were looking for people to build a unified team to
maintain our values of trust, integrity, and reliability. We
welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and
thoughtfully challenge assumptions.
Keywords: Matson Inc, Oakland , Principal Financial & Operations Analyst, Professions , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!