Ambulatory Patient Services Representative
Company: Alameda Health System
Posted on: July 13, 2019
Under general supervision, the Patient Services Representative
(PSR) provides a specialized clerical support service to the
various clinic registration units and screen patients for possible
eligibility into various financial programs. Specially trained to
perform the patient registration and less complex enrollment of
into various financial assistance programs. PSRs are also a part of
the ambulatory care team and support the day to day functions of
the clinic practice and team-based care. The PSRs may be required
to work in alternate locations as necessary. Program enrollment
responsibilities include but are not necessarily limited to the
following:), Childhood Health and Disability Program (CHDP),
Charity (AHS's Charity Program), Presumptive Eligibility (PE), and
Cancer Detection Program (CDP). Performs related duties as
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: Following are the duties
performed by employees in this classification. However, employees
may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Not all
duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual in the
- Provides patient-centered care that is respectful of, and
responsive to, individual patient preferences, needs and values.
Provides and promotes excellence in customer service for both
internal and external customers.
- Collaborates with patients and other healthcare providers to
deliver coordinated, high quality care.
- Registration and Pre-registration for Ambulatory Care Services;
Interview patients to obtain necessary information for billing
purposes, financial screening of patients and process documents to
establish source of payment, and preparation of registration
packets and patient visit. Appointment scheduling in person, and/or
on the phone with excellent customer service.
- Advise patient and/or guarantor of financial obligations;
collection and process payments, co-payments and pre-payments for
services. Verify insurance program eligibility and coverage for
Ambulatory Care Services.
- Interprets laws and regulations of Federal, State, and County
programs and advises patient of eligibility requirements, as well
as their rights and obligations in receiving financial services.
Assist patient in completing applications and forms, as necessary,
and reviews for accuracy and completion.
- Enter registration and billing information into computer
application system following specific guidelines and instructions;
retrieve data and prepare variety of reports related to patient
census, patient insurance, and financial status.
- Distribute, complete, and collect forms and documents for
Ambulatory Care Services; Provide explanation and education to
patients of services and resources available. Determine enrollment
options for eligible patients into various financial assistance
programs, and enrollment of health coverage programs as
- Maintain records of unit productivity, patient location,
registration and discharge.
- Inform and advise medical providers of patient's financial
status and maintain open communication with Healthcare providers
and staff to ensure timely notification of any health conditions or
diagnosis that could qualify the patient for programs to assist the
patient(s) with their healthcare costs.
- Assist and respond to patient inquiries regarding Alameda
Health System (AHS) health care services; Inform patients of AHS
and Ambulatory Care Services policies and procedures, direct
patients to appropriate medical service areas.
- Referral processing as needed to provide timely, accurate, and
quality to care and services. Process and submit required
authorization and prior authorization forms with Health Plans or
Medical/Provider groups as directed by the referring provider.
Generate required correspondence/review notification of patients
and providers of authorization determination or any barriers
leading to scheduled services such as self-pay, continuity of care,
and cancellation of schedule. Advises patient/guarantor of
- Conduct outreach functions to achieve AHS organizational goals
- Utilize and operate standard office equipment, including but
not limited to telephone, computers, fax machines, and AHS
applications; Electronic Health Record, Financial Billing and
Registration, and On-Line resources; Use of Telephone, E-Mail, and
other equipment to provide communication and support to patients
and AHS employees.
- Provide backup and coverage support for Ambulatory Care
Services as assigned
- Participates in performance improvement/quality control
- Ability to empathize with vulnerable populations and
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum Experience: Demonstrated use of computer and telephone
systems, and general navigation through application systems.
- Medical Terminology: Preferred, not required
- Bilingual: Preferred, not required
Keywords: Alameda Health System, Oakland , Ambulatory Patient Services Representative, Sales , Oakland, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!